The 1st Tiger Beetles of The Year

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crotermund

The 1st Tiger Beetles of The Year

Post by crotermund »

Tonight I made a special point to do my picture processing thru Adobe Lightroom. I am liking what I am seeing in the program, but am totally new to it. These are my very first pictures processed in the program. I captured this mating pair on my 2nd trip out this year. Anyway, any feedback is appreciated as I try to learn how to use this new software.

pic1...

pic2...

Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Danny

Post by Danny »

Extraordinary shots Craig. So beetles playing leapfrog of all things :wink: , beautiful and sharp shots. Love the colours of these.

All the best Craig, fine detailed images. Excellent !!! :wink:

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Wonderful sharpness and detail in these pictures. Tiger beetles are my favorite insects....savage and beautiful at the same time. Very hard to capture also...unless they are preoccupied :wink: Is that at the beach?
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Great shots, Craig. Way to capture the moment with crystaline clarity.

What did you do in Lightroom and how was it helpful?

Irwin

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Irwin, this was my first experience with Lightroom so I cannot speak in detail about it yet. First, I used it to make my photo selections for editing. The Compare tool seems to be very handy and allows you to select a pair of pictures and compare them with a sync focus feature that is really cool. It allows you to do a magnified comparison of 2 photos simultaneously so that you can identify the subtle differences between them. After making selections you can create quick collections and id photos with tags, ratings, or color codes. I then used it to clone out a small unwanted stick in the first photo, did some very minor sharpening, shadows & highlights.

I have been looking to speed up my workflow. The process of making selections, organizing, and editing in photoshop takes so much time. Anyway, my first impression is that the interface is nicely arranged and seems to be fairly feature rich. This is probably a lot more than you were asking in your question, but I am kind of excited about it's potential. :lol:
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Tiger beetles are very tough to shoot, good job capturing these ummm..."distracted" ones!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well from what I can see, you seem to be getting along with the new program pretty well Craig. One thing though and a bit off topic is that I notice that, among others, you are using a Sigma lens. I am still debating over getting a new lens but have yet to decide. Sigma looks pretty promising, even more so in some of the reviews. :D

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Mike - you are sure right about Tiger Beetles being tough to shoot. It's fun & funny stalking such a small creature, following them from spot to spot, until you can sneak up to them. Ken - Ken (Moebius) & I have been using the Sigma 150mm for just over a year now and couldn't be happier with it. It really is an awesome lens. I know you have been pondering this lens for awhile now & there is an old expression I thought I should share....Nothing to it, but to do it. :wink: You won't be disappointed. :)
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic