Echinocereus polyacanthus closeup and unknown mam

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cactuspic

Echinocereus polyacanthus closeup and unknown mam

Post by cactuspic »

The closeup of the Echinocereus polyacanthus pacifica shows the pollen grains.

This is a large white spined mam with purple flowers. It is about 8 inches high with a solitary head. It looks almost like my supertexta on steroids

Hope you enjoy

Irwin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Irwin, those pollen grains look like they would make a wonderful dissert. Lots of nice details in the picture. It seems like the more spiny the cactus the prettier the flowers :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Nice pics, Irwin. I particularly like the first one because of the nice combination of colors. I also like it because it isn't obvious it is a cactus (to me, a non-cactus expert). BTW - what do they call a cactus expert? :-k
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

An interesting composition that really works well wth that very diffuse and quite beautiful red background. When I initially viewed this posting I had only scrolled down far enough to expose the top 50% of the image (showing just five of the seven stigma lobes) and I thought at that stage what a gorgeous abstract it made.

That's a beautifully clean Mamm in pic2. Is that broad horizontal banding caused by the lighting or is it actually present on the body of the plant?

Bruce

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thank you Doug, Craig and Bruce for your kind comments.

Doug, you are right. Some of the spiniest have the most ravishing flowers. There's a metaphor lurking there, I think

Craig, my definition of a cactus expert is someone who can remove spines from fingers without using a tweezer.

Bruce, the horizontal banding is a part of the cactus. I suspect it is a demarcation between the growing seasons, but I am not sure.

Take care.

Irwin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic