"THE 300"....Ant Style.

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

"THE 300"....Ant Style.

Post by beetleman »

This "Ant war" was right outside the store where I work. lasted for two days so far, but we had some rain yesterday afternoon and put a stop to it. Will have to see if they start up again. I took about 100 shots and most of them did not turn out that great. had a cloudy day, lots of movement with the ants and just couldn`t get the settings to work out right. The third one (not that good a photo to begin with) is a 30% crop and shows some of the carnage. The line of ants fighting extended about 10 feet along the walkway. We were telling everyone that it was our store ants against the colony of ants from the coffee shop next door :wink: The ants are around 5mm in length.

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

These are genus Tetramorium, such warlike behavior is fairly common with them.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Congrats on photographing something I've always wanted to record, but have never seen when I had a camera with me...Good show!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Thanks a bunch for the genus information Gordon (I was hoping for it :smt023 ) and thank you Mike for your comments. I wish I could have gotten a "POGO ANT" quality closeup of the action. I did take some movies of the action and I have to say they would have been very interesting to watch but I didn`t have my mini tripod with me and I was trying to hold the zoomed camera on my leg but the camera moved around so much, it makes you dizzy watching them :roll: . Just goes to show you, you need to carry all your stuff with you all the time :lol:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic