Harvester ant again

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

acerola

Harvester ant again

Post by acerola »

I quit a day from job just to photograph all day. This picture is one of the result.

And one more.
Péter

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Stout little things they are. :wink: Looks as though depth of field and lighting were a bit of a problem in these, though that is just my preception but at high mags, again we have to take what we can get, however, you did quite well with these in my opinion Péter. :D

acerola

Post by acerola »

I see your point Ken. I just want to use the sunshine for the lighting beise the flash. And I had to decrease te DOF for this. But I like the mood and the ant is more 3 dimensional this way. But maybe it is just me, and I have to work on this technic to please others also.
Péter

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Péter wrote:
But maybe it is just me, and I have to work on this technic to please others also.
I would not worry so much as to what pleases everyone else, unless as someone said here awhile back, you're in competion. It is how you perceive the photograph yourself and what really pleases you, the photographer. :wink: Here of late I have started to shoot more monochrome or black and white images. A number of folks may prefer images in color and some may prefer mono. It is all a matter of preference of course but I seem to like mono better and that is what I will expect to be shooting more of in the future, well maybe a color shot or two :lol:. However it is what you, the photographer, is trying to express or convey. We can not please everybody, though we may try. :D

acerola

Post by acerola »

Yes you are right. But when I make a picture and it is new, it is quite close to me. I heve feeling and emotions connected to it. I need some time for the ability to look it just like I look the photo of other people. It is not a big problem after a month or half a year. I can judge it then.
So that is why I am curious to others opinion.
Péter

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I like the first one a little better but the second one does convay a sense of late evening with the lighting. What I want to know is what kind of seed is he carrying :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

hard-working little ladies! I always enjoy ant shots, but I don't think I like these as well as the one you posted the other day.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

acerola

Post by acerola »

beetleman: it is the seed of the ash tree without its outer appendage. They carry the whole thing to their nest too, but I helped them to get the seed only.

Thank you all for your opinion.
Péter

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic