I spy...What am "eye"?

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

twebster

I spy...What am "eye"?

Post by twebster »

The last time I posted one of these bird's eyes, Rik guessed it right off. I decided to make it a bit more challenging this time. :D There's no prize if you guess correctly, just the satisfaction of knowing your birds. :D

I also posted this to show what can be done with a Canon prosumer dSLR and 2, stacked 1.4x teleconverters. I normally shoot a Canon 1D MkII with a 1.3x crop factor for birds. Lately, though, the 1D MkII with 500mm lens and 2x teleconverter has fallen a little short when photographing small birds like warblers. The Canon prosumer dSLRs have a 1.6x crop factor that would work better for the smaller birds but those models (Rebel XT, XTi, 20D and 30D) will not autofocus with the 2x teleconverter. What's a guy to do :?:

Since Canon cameras only report the teleconverter that is attached to the lens, I got the bright idea that I could stack another 1.4x teleconverter with my current 1.4x teleconverter and the 30D dSLR I have should still autofocus. You can't stack 2 Canon 1.4x teleconverters so I bought a Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DG teleconverter and stack it with my Canon 1.4x II tc.

The results have been better than I could have ever expected! The image, above, is a 100% pixel view of a bird who's head just fills the full frame from the 30D. I think the sharpness and contrast is just amazing and will be using this rig for all of my small bird photography. :D

Enjoy :!: :D
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Tom, I'd have been pretty impressed if you'd said that you'd taken this photo through aviary netting using a 150mm macro lens - it is quite simply stunning!!!

Frankly I'm struggling to find words to say how good I think it is - particularly considering how it was taken. It's not just technically and artistically excellent, but it's just so...so totally...AVIAN! It perfectly captures that unique quality ...that essential "birdness" of....well...birds (told you I was struggling :D ).

A great achievement!

I have no idea on species but I can't wait to see the full frame.

Bruce

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Nycticorax nycticorax.... BCNH

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

Wonderful shot, and I agree.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Excellent photo Tom. I don`t think they live on the east coast :wink: Love that red eye.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I recognized the roadrunner immediately, but was clueless on this one!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

twebster

Post by twebster »

Good grief :!: :shock: You guys are good :!: :D

Charlie nailed it. Black Crowned Night Heron. :D Looks like I'll have to make a trip out of the country for the next one :!: :D

Really, I posted this to show how good stacked 1.4x teleconverters work on the 500mm lens. Pretty impressive...and so are you, Charlie :!: :D

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

In a word, WOW!

If I understand this correctly, we're looking at a 500mm lens stacked with two 1.4X teleconverters, making a net 1000mm lens, imaging onto a 22.5x15mm sensor. That's about a 37X telephoto, and it's still sharp at the pixel level. :shock:

No way would I have predicted that this would actually work. That was a very good bet, Tom! Thanks for sharing the results! :D :D

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic