2 Different Extremely Tiny Red Creatures

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crotermund

2 Different Extremely Tiny Red Creatures

Post by crotermund »

I decided to post these 2 creatures together because they are of a very similar size. The first one is, without question, the tiniest hopper Ken & I encountered on our Amazon trip. Actually, I would have to double check just to see if we shot a smaller insect at all.

Red hopper...

The second creature is a red velvet mite. I had never shot one before, but always thought they were cool looking. Peter, of Hungary, posted one just a couple weeks ago which can be found here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=2174

He described his mite as very calm which is the exact opposite of the one I encountered. :) This was one of my first subjects of the year and was discovered on a log wandering incessantly. I followed him around for awhile shooting handheld.

Predator & Prey....

Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Excellent shots Craig :D , especially the second I think. That hopper has to be one of the classiest insects I've seen in a while. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful photos Craig. I am still looking for my first velvet mite :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Thanks guys. I wish there was something more to show scale on the shots. The sprigs of moss help on the mite, but there isn't anything on the hopper which was really close in size. It would sure have helped if I had placed a dime or something in the picture. :)
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic