Of Eastern Tailed Blue's, Little Bees, and Tiny Flies

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Of Eastern Tailed Blue's, Little Bees, and Tiny Flies

Post by Ken Ramos »

Since acquiring my 30D, I have had little chance to use and enjoy it, so today attaching my 100mm macro to the new toy, I crawled about the lawn, slightly raising an eyebrow or two from my inquisitive neighbors, as I clicked away at most anything that caught my eye. :lol:

Hairstreak
EOS 30D
1/200 sec. @ f/10 ISO 400
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
Daylight
No bigger than your thumbnail, this little Hairstreak provided quite a few minutes of chasing around from flower to flower. Finally it tired, as I was about too and came to rest long enough for a shot.

EOS 30D
Daylight, in shade
Not really sure as to what kind of little bee this is. Around here they would be usually called a "sweat bee" and they smart quite a bit when they sting you.

Syrphid Fly
EOS 30D
Daylight
Of course these little flies are always good for a shot or maybe two. I only captured this ones backside before it took off.
Last edited by Ken Ramos on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Great job on these photos Ken. Beautiful flowers and insects. Nothing blooming here yet...just a few crocuses close to the warm house :cry:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Take heart Doug, soon the climate around NH will be like that of Virginia or so I have been reading in regards to "global warming." Soon the trees will be budding and blooming in early March and the wildflowers will popping up all over. :lol:

Thanks Doug :D

Tony T

Post by Tony T »

Ken:
Just browsing "Syrphids" and came across this post. Your Hairstreak is actually a female Eastern Tailed Blue (Everes comyntas), the tails are sugggestive of a hairstreak but the blues are in a different subfamily. Nice photo.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Tony, boy are you digging deep :lol: However I learn something new every day, thanks to you guys. :D

Tony T

Post by Tony T »

Maybe edit the title.
This site is new to me so I'm still looking around although I am beginning to realise that actual identification of bugs is of pretty low priority. Not much incentive to go outside- about 2 ' of snow on the ground with more forecast tomorrow; and I'm too old to take up winter sports -unless driving down to Florida can be considered a winter sport for us Canadians. So I'm left with browsing as a break from my work.

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

This may be an old one Ken, but I have not seen it before. Excellent shots as usual. Is it my imagination or are the yellows a bit blown? I do not have your experienced eyes!! I am sure you are wishing you could be crawling around the grass now instead of the frost and cold you are experiencing. :lol:
Joan Young

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Ken, wonderful series. If the neighbors are not raising their eyebrows at our efforts, then we are settling for just the easy stuff that doesn't make us think or work. :)

Irwin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Irwin, Joan, & Tony :D

Yes the yellow of the flower seems a slight bit blown but then again I am thinking that the shallow DOF may have something to do with most of that, making it appear a bit more blown than what it actually is. As for my neighbors, they moved...yippie! :lol: But I still have others. :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic