Amazon - Assassin Bug / Strange White Moth

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crotermund

Amazon - Assassin Bug / Strange White Moth

Post by crotermund »

Orange assassin...

Little white moth...

Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Neat little assassin bug. Has the look of a juvenile, somehow.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

I agree the assassin looks like a nymph, the "moth" loks like it may be something like a woolly aphid.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Both pictures are super Craig. The colors and focus on the first one are eyepopping. The second one does look a little strange. Would be nice to see its head (cicada popped into my head for a second) but it does look like a moth :-k
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Thanks guys.

I believe the assassin is a nymph also. We saw several down there that seemed to be of a little bigger size with the undeveloped wings / juvenile look to them.

Gordon & Doug - I struggled with the categorization of the 2nd one due to his strangeness and labeled him moth feeling a little uncertain about it. The head / body almost seem like they belong to something else & the furry edge of his wings is very unique. :-k We need that comprehensive guide to the insects of the Amazon again. :wink:
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Craig, nice shots. Thanks for sharing.

To the "moth" on your second photo:
To my knowledge in aphids (O. Sternorrhyncha: Aphidomorpha) wing venation is more reduced. Hence I´d say the "moth" is a cicada (O. Auchenorrhyncha) what has already popped into Doug´s mind.

I also thought of Sternorrhyncha: Psyllomorpha but because of the short antenna and the wing venation (though critical parts are a bit blurred and not visible) I tend more to say Auchenorrhyncha.

Craig, next time you meet this fella down there please ask him to turn over and take a portrait of his ventral side and a highly magnified shot of his feet that allows counting his tarsal limbs. :wink: :D

Cheers,
Betty

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very neat shot of the assassin bug,i never realised they had red eyes!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Thanks Betty. I searched throughout my pics for another specimen that had his feet showing, but could not find one. :) I did find this one, however, that shows a head on view as Doug requested. I'm not sure if it helps narrow things down or not, though. The eyes of all the cicadas I could find seem to be further apart almost on opposite sides of the head, whereas this one seems to have them close together on the front of his face. :-k What do you think?

Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Craig, now the position of the insertion of the proboscis and the position of the coxae of the mesothorax are visible and these traits corroborate that it´s Auchenorrhyncha: Cicadomorpha.

The darker coloured structures positioned closer to one another should be the proximate limbs of the antennae.
The eyes are the structures of lighter colour and more roundish almost hemispheric shape. They are positioned more dorsally from those darker antennal bases and more apart from one another. Can you see ´em now?

Cheers,
Betty

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

That is one unusaul Cicada, never seen one like that before. Well at least of photograph of one that is. Quite a beautiful and unsual species. :D

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Thank you, Betty. I can definitely see the eyes now. I zoomed in at home too. As Ken mentioned, this certainly is an unusual cicada. I'm glad we were able to come up with some clearly identifying traits. :)
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic