Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Papilio glaucus

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Papilio glaucus

Post by Ken Ramos »

The flush of light blue on the hind wings, denote this as being a female, I think. :-k The males have no blue markings, from what I have read . It was quite windy when this shot was taken but the butterfly seemed quite content, for a while at least, as I slowly approached from behind for this shot. I did not notice it until I downloaded the images that I took of this butterfly, about three or four, this is the best of...but one of its antennae seems to be missing. :smt017 Then again, it may be that it is just laid back/foreward or laid possibly to one side out of eye view, as not to be to conspicuous, don't know. :roll:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Papilio glaucus ♀
EOS 20D
1/250 sec. @ f/9 ISO 400
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro
Midday, plenty of sun, no flash

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Nice pic, Ken. The wings look pristine & fresh. You wouldn't know it was windy by looking at them either. BTW, I can loan you a replacement antennae from my archives if you like. :wink: :)
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

It was a "Bluebird" day there Craig, the sun was fairly high in the sky and that probably accounts for the wings looking as bright as they are. Curious thing that antennae, maybe the butterfly will manage with only one. Thanks :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

You got a butterfly already :shock: Dang!!. A beautiful specimen Ken. OK, if you took his antenna from the right and flipped it and pasted it on to the left...do you have to disclose that you did that :roll: :D
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug asked:
OK, if you took his antenna from the right and flipped it and pasted it on to the left...do you have to disclose that you did that
Not unless someone shows up with a warrant :smt028 Heck I ain't that smart Doug. I wouldn't even begin to know how to do something like that. :lol: But I guess you would have to, I suppose anyway :smt017

Thanks Doug :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic