Cat Skull

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Cat Skull

Post by beetleman »

A cat skull. I would have to guess a young one (not many teeth..How many teeth does a cat have?). A stack of 15 photos to increase the DOF. Size is 3.5" long by 2" high. Here are some of the other skull pictures I have posted in the past. take care.
Doug

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... =bat+skull

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

What a teeth! :shock:
Middle ones could be used as arrows. Looks sharp as shark's.
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

You've done a great job with this moggie's skull Doug. The textures are spot on giving the skull a real feeling of substance and weight. I really like what you've done. IMO the fact that you've not stepped focus through to the far back helps give a more realistic three dimensional affect - the important parts are in sharp focus and the lighting is superb. The slightly translucent base to the eye socket is just magic!

I liked your other skull photos too. They are particularly interesting to me just now as I am hoping to have a shrew's scull to photograph in the very near future and I'll be leaning heavily on your work for sure.

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Thanks Bruce...just wait till I tell my wife I have someone else interested in skullduggery. All the skulls (only have five) I have are usually road killed animals. If I see one and it is not too decomposed, I try to put it somewhere out of the way to wait for all the little critters to do all the dirtywork and than I take the skull and put it in some bleach and that cleans anything left off of it.

Nikola..they look alot like sharks` teeth don`t they :wink:
Doug Breda

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Very interesting, looks like a subject I'd come up with!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

oooh... A snake skull would be Kool :wink:
Doug Breda

Ib Mathiasen

Post by Ib Mathiasen »

Nice foto - almost 3D

There are something fantastic with a (cranium) skull - and catch in a good shot like this is great - nice work
Ib Mathiasen

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Awesome picture, Doug. I am assuming that you used dermestid beetles to get it in such a pristine clean condition yourself? If so, I'd love to hear about the process.
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Hi Craig, nothing fancy like that ( I think I saw that on a show, Dirty Jobs I think)), like I said, I usually make sure the dead animal is somewhere out of the way (sometimes the town workers will pick them up off the side of the road) and I let nature take its course. Once all the maggots and beetles are done, I take the skull home, put it into bleach for a while and the bleach does a good job of finishing off anything left organic and killing all the germs :wink: On the show"Dirty Jobs" they used the beetles to clean the flesh and then I think they boiled them to finish the skulls off. I think the company was called "The Bone Room" http://www.boneroom.com/
Here is their receipe.... http://www.boneroom.com/faqs/bones.html#cleaning
Doug Breda

Danny

Post by Danny »

Well this is different Doug. That DOF is just right for this. Unique and clever shooting to get this just right. Good use of light with soft shadows. Well done.

All the best Doug, I can't get over how unique this is, amazing !!!

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic