More Mammillarias

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cactuspic

More Mammillarias

Post by cactuspic »

Winter is a good time in my greenhouse to catch many Mammillarias flowering. Many have white or light colored spines.

Mammillaria schiedeana

Mammillaria plumosa. This is one of the feew cacti whose spines are as soft as they look.

Irwin

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Three more excellent photos Irwin.

I was never the biggest fan of mamms, prefering to collect the larger flowered genera - but I must admit, when you see them up close like this, they really do look stunning.

Having said that, no collection is complete without at least a few mamms and I did like some of the newer (well, new in the late 70s early 80's) large flowered discoveries like theresae and saboae. I bet there's been some stunning mamms introduced in the last 20 years that I know nothing about!

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Wonderful looking photos Irwin. You can really tell that cactuses do not want to get eaten by anything. Just look at those spines in pic #2 :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know the subject header really got my hopes up (mind in the gutter again :oops: ). However, all those spines would not have stopped John Wayne, why he would take that cacti break it open and suck the water out of it in one of those old western movies and not even get stuck once. :wink: Really nice shots of these prickly things and they have really nice flowers too. May have to go to the garden shop and get me a couple. :D

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Bruce Williams wrote:Three more excellent photos Irwin.

I was never the biggest fan of mamms, prefering to collect the larger flowered genera - but I must admit, when you see them up close like this, they really do look stunning.

Having said that, no collection is complete without at least a few mamms and I did like some of the newer (well, new in the late 70s early 80's) large flowered discoveries like theresae and saboae. I bet there's been some stunning mamms introduced in the last 20 years that I know nothing about!

Bruce
Bruce, I don't know if you caught it but in a recent post (Of Spine and Flower) I had a stacked image of a Mammillaria theresae. I have an older image of a saboaeImage

I will post a (leuthyi one of the new ones) soon. Best regard.

Irwin

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thank you Doug and Ken for taking the time to rview my work and comment.

Ken, you really have to get your mind out of the gutter. There is only room for one of us there. :roll: Actually you are on the right track. They received their name because the spines grow from areolas atop breatlike protrusions. Ah, the inadvertant benefits of a dirty mind. :shock:

Best regards

Irwin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well it is good to know that I was not too far off in my thinking :lol:

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks for posting the saboae photo Irwin - now there's a plant that perfectly illustrates the point you were making to Ken.

Unfortunately I'd missed your earlier posting of theresae - now that really is beautiful little plant, showing of its white, feathered spination against a dark purple body (only available off the top shelf of the nursery).

I look forward to seeing your photo of leuthyi.

Bruce

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes, Bruce,

Some nice new Mammillarias like Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae, Mammillaria hernandezii etc. Mammillaria luethyi has a particularly nice flower and interesting spines. Not got any digital pictures of them yet though to post, Irwin may have though?

DaveW

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Great photos Irwin! :D
My favorite is Mammillaria plumosa. I like that woolly like appearrance and silky white flowers. "Hair" structure is more plume alike.
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thanks you Nikola :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic