Two More carnivorous Sundews

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Two More carnivorous Sundews

Post by beetleman »

You should say they are insectivorous :wink: The first one is Drosera capensis. Drosera capensis is native in the south western Cape region of South Africa. It is probably one of The easiest sundew to grow. This plant produces so much seed that it can become a weed in your collection. There is also a red form. These I have growing on my south facing windowsill in the winter and I put them out for the summer. They are Subtropical sundews and do not go into dormancy and will not stand frost. The second one is a leaf of Drosera paradoxa. Drosera paradoxa is native to northern Australia and is a tropical sundew. It likes warmer temps & high humidity. I have it growing in my orchid terrarium, up near the lights and with a clear plastic cup over it to help with the humidity. This is another sundew I bought off of ebay. The third picture is a Drosera capensis leaf wrapped around something it liked very much (I don`t know :smt102 ) Probably some crumbs from the kids :wink:

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some really nice shots here Doug. Wonder if they will eat a Sonic Cheeseburger or maybe even a Chilie Cheese Dog with jalopenos, lots of onions and tots? =P~ If it won't, then I will. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Three very artistic and well composed presentations Doug - and interesting subjects too. I like pic2 but IMO it could maybe benefit from a tad more dof (more noticable on the LHS). Pic3 is my peronal favourite giving the appearance of a piece of abstract sculpture - it's quite fascinating to look at and I certainly had no idea that these plants were capable of so much movement.

Bruce

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Absolutely fascinating, Doug. Since my favorite depends upon which shot I looked at last, I will just say that the plant part of me and the photographer part of me just smiled and shook his head.

Best regards,

Irwin

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

Great pictures of these plants, with interesting information.
I've only really seen one of our local ones, and it's only growing at a few places. Fortunately one is close to my home. I always search for damselflies caught in them. Make great pictures :-)

Erland

svalley

Post by svalley »

Doug, Great shots! I like all three. I have only found Sundews at one place here in Oregon and they are very small, but they cover the ground.
Last edited by svalley on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Well done, Doug! :smt023
Excellent closeup lens that Canon 250D. :D
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic