On a Day Hike...

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

On a Day Hike...

Post by Ken Ramos »

I found this little snail, slug, grazing on some small bracket fungi that were growing on a decaying log. Though this is not unusual, snails seem to prefer fungi, they also tend to relish the flavor of myxomycetes. That is why one day you find them in one spot and the next they are gone. However one thing that is unusual, from what I have read about snails and fungi, they usually, the snails, feed at night.

Continuing on with my little excursion, I ran across where a tree had fallen, the park service has been clearing away fallen limbs and trees from the newly built trails at Curtis Creek , most of them, the trails, are really nice, in that they are wheel chair accessible and made of finished concrete. Anyway a section of the rotting tree had been cut away and the bark had peeled away from the wood, revealing what appears to be a fungus of some sort or maybe even a plasmodium which was wintering over. The plasmodia of myxomycetes will harbor beneath the bark of rotting trees and usually form a hardened structure called a sclerotium. When conditions improve the sclerotium reverts back to a plasmoidum once more and the process of fruitificaiton resumes. Could this be a plasmodium or just a regular or normal blob of fungi, of some sort? :-k

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

That is pretty interesting Ken. I would not even guess what it was. (did you poke it with A STICK). It does look like it has some psudopods. Both pictures are very nice. Lots of life on the first log :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

It does hint a bit of protoplasmic flow but I think it is more than likely some form of jelly fungi but who knows. I should have brought it home, it looks so forelorn and fragile in the harsh environment of winter and besides I could take it apart and check it out using the microscope. :lol:

Thanks Doug :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic