Another Type of Carnivorous Plant

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Another Type of Carnivorous Plant

Post by beetleman »

Nepenthes are tropical pitcher plants that usually grow as climbing or scrambling vines. Most species are found in Southeast Asia, their center of distribution being the island of Borneo. There is currently estimated to be around eighty species. Nepenthes are not typically jungle plants, but prefer more open and sunny ridges, slopes and low forests. Species that grow below 3,000 feet are labeled lowland. Highland species grow from 3,000 to 10,000 feet above sea level. I bought this one at a local Home Depot store, no species label with it. It has been quite easy to grow so far..we will have to see how it does indoors for the winter. The pitchers on this plant are about 1.25" in diameter at the opening and 5" long. The third photo is a stack of 27 photos using helicon focus. Insects climb in but they cannot get out :shock:

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hey Doug, these are some really nice shots here. I like the first one the best, the composition is great. Let us know how they winter over. Might look into one or two myself if our not so local store (Asheville) has them. :D

Cyclops

Re: Another Type of Carnivorous Plant

Post by Cyclops »

beetleman wrote:Nepenthes are tropical pitcher plants
great photos Doug. I know someone on a US gardening site who grows these too!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic