Leg Joint Of A Beetle

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

georgedingwall

Leg Joint Of A Beetle

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi all,

I've bveen trying out a new lens I picked up on ebay. A Schneider Componon HM 40mm F2.8 enlarger lens.

This image of a joint in a beetle's leg is one of the test images I did.
It is the joint between the Tibia and the Tarsus of the left middle leg.

This image is at the limit of magnification I can achieve from this lens with the extension I have available. The vertical field is the full height of the image from the camera, I cropped some dead space from the width.

This lens shows some great detail on the surface of the leg. I'm very pleased with it so far.

D200
Reverse mounted 40mm F2.8 @ F5.6 Schneider Componon HM Enlarger Lens.
1.4x teleconverter
Bellows + 2 sets of extension tubes mounted on focussing rail.
5 second exposure under tungsten light.
26 frames with 0.04 mm adjustment between frames.
Stacked in Helicon Focus.
Finished in Photoshop CS2.
Last edited by georgedingwall on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

:shock: I think it is a super looking stack George. Like you said, there is a lot of texture showing up on the leg. Looks like leather :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug said:
Looks like leather
Looks like some ones sweaty behind has been sitting on it too! :lol: However that is a good stack and as Doug said, it does have a leathery look. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

George,

This is excellent! It's sharp, the lighting shows off the shape, the dimpled texture, and the gloss, and there's scarcely a trace of stacking artifact. Attractive composition, too. The only downside is that you've pushed the bar so high that now you'll have to struggle next time to beat it! :D

--Rik

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi Ken,
Ken Ramos wrote:
Looks like some ones sweaty behind has been sitting on it too! :lol:
I've never liked leather furniture, becasue of the sweaty behind problem. :lol:

Bye for now.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi Rik,
rjlittlefield wrote:George,

This is excellent! It's sharp, the lighting shows off the shape, the dimpled texture, and the gloss, and there's scarcely a trace of stacking artifact. Attractive composition, too. The only downside is that you've pushed the bar so high that now you'll have to struggle next time to beat it! :D

--Rik
Thanks for the comments. The new lens does seem to have excellent clarity and resolving power. Have you ever used any of the Schneider Componon HM lenses. They seem to be expensive lenses at retail, but I got mine quite cheap on ebay.

As for the downside you mention, that has already started. I now find myself rejecting some image stacks that I would have been happy with a few months ago. Having managed to get a few good images, it hard to accept that sometimes it just doesn't work. Some subjects just don't make good stacking projects.

Bye for now.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

georgedingwall wrote:Have you ever used any of the Schneider Componon HM lenses.
No, I have not. I'll be interested to see more pictures with them, though. I'm very pleased with the set of Olympus bellows lenses that I assembled from eBay, but they were far from cheap even there. It would be nice to know that similar qualilty could be gotten more cheaply some other way.
...hard to accept that sometimes it just doesn't work. Some subjects just don't make good stacking projects.
More than once, I have thought that it would be fun and ultimately beneficial to make a series of posts titled "When stacking goes bad..." :D

I'd be interested to see some of the cases where stacking did not work well for you. It's good that we learn how to pick subjects that the current software handles well, but the software will never get better if that's all we do. Successes are good for morale. It's the failures that drive development.

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Wow what a cool shot!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic