10/0.25 E Plan LWD vs. 10/0.25 BD M Plan

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

morfa

10/0.25 E Plan LWD vs. 10/0.25 BD M Plan

Post by morfa »

Just a quick comparison between two objectives with similar specs.

My impressions with these prior to testing them side by side have been that the M Plan produces slightly more contrasty and vivid results with less CA but that sharpness/definition were more or less the same.

The M Plan is 210/0 and the E Plan is 160/- so they were used at 200mm and 150mm extension respectively. Both are stacked from little over 100 exposures. Diffusion was a provided by a ping pong ball attached around the tip of the objective and the lighting was one Nikon SB-24 set to 1/16th power.

Test subject: crane fly wing

ImageImage
Left: E Plan, Right: M Plan

Compare them side by side with zoom/pan in flash HERE

I think this test confirms that the M Plan has the slight edge in contrast/punchyness and that if there is any difference in resolution it's not big enough to show clearly in 6MP images. This test subject (under this lighting) doesn't seem very revealing when it comes to CA so not much to say there other than both objectives can produce almost CA-free results under some circumstances.

The M Plan shows a significant drop in resolution along the right edge of the frame but not so on the left side as far as I can tell. Either my copy of this objective is not 100% or it's slightly decentered/tilted in my setup. In support of the latter explanation I noticed an image shift after changing objectives. I nudged the subject slightly to compensate for this but they still didn't end up perfectly aligned.

This is obviously very inconclusive but as I think I've mentioned before I prefer to gather my understanding from many inconclusive tests rather than trying to set up one final conclusive test (which IF it was possible (which I'm convinced it isn't) would take far too much time and energy)

***EDIT: Forgot to mention: click the images to download 6MP versions.

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Very interesting; the nikon E plan 10x 160/0.25 LWD is the only microscope lens I own at the moments. First test I did showed horrible purple/yellow CAs and I thought it was not CF. Now I can say these CAs were caused by poor lighting technique although there are some CAs left.
I agree with you that it has somewhat poor contrast, again my poor lighting technique worsens the problem but so far I am happy with it. Cost me 20€ which I find pretty cheap
before getting more microscope lenses I need to investigate/research more; thank you for the test
Regards

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

John, this is an excellent comparison. It's very easy to compare the two images using your side-by-side Flash widget (or whatever such things are called in Flash). I agree with your observations and conclusions in every respect.

--Rik

morfa

Post by morfa »

Here is one with the E Plan LWD of a more three dimensional subject:

6MP version here: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/469 ... f4f3_o.jpg

It's the same crane fly as shown in this thread where it was shot with the M Plan. However it has aged/dried for a couple of days on the stand and the eyes has turned almost completely black.

As you can see there is quite pronounced bluish/yellow CA along the right edge of the right eye and if you look at the high res version you see some purple/magenta CA in the dark bristles on the head. The contrast is visibly lower here too than in the M Plan stack.

Most of these issues can be compensated for by careful post processing so if you're on a budget (nowadays many E Plans seem to go for around 1/5 the cost of a reasonably priced M Plan, and there appear to be a lot of them around) the E Plan still is quite capable of producing good results. If you want to spend a minimum of time post processing your images the more expensive M Plan may be worth considering.

bklein

mplan?

Post by bklein »

just for kicks could you post a photo of the M Plan? They don't all look the same so I'm curious what yours looks like.

morfa

Re: mplan?

Post by morfa »

bklein wrote:just for kicks could you post a photo of the M Plan? They don't all look the same so I'm curious what yours looks like.
Sure, mine is of the BD type and I'm using it without the hollow barrel:
ImageImage

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Just to know; what would be a reasonable price for one of this BD M plans? My E plan was very cheap an does OK but as you say contrast could be better and is some situation CAs do show. I was thinking of a 4x microscope lens but after succesfuly testing the JML 21mm I would say I do not need it. A better 10x would be nice
Regards

morfa

Post by morfa »

seta666 wrote:Just to know; what would be a reasonable price for one of this BD M plans? My E plan was very cheap an does OK but as you say contrast could be better and is some situation CAs do show.
Regards
A reasonable question of course... I paid $75 + shipping for mine when I got it three months ago but I think around $100 (not above $150) is still reasonable. But I've not been in the market for one lately and these things fluctuate so I could be wrong. Lately, I've seen several E Plans go below $20 and this is what prompted me to do this comparison!
I was thinking of a 4x microscope lens but after succesfuly testing the JML 21mm I would say I do not need it.
Same here :)

seta666

Post by seta666 »

That is a very good price for such a lens; let me know if you find one for sale ;-) I paid 20€ for my 10x E plan LWD
Regards
Last edited by seta666 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bklein

Post by bklein »

Cool! Glad I asked.
I already had one of these and recently got another and didn't know I had the first (=stupid me). The first one I bought for something close to $75 and the second was $20 plus $10 shipping. From the same seller it turns out. I still haven't tried them. I was a little worried when I found the outer casing loose and so removable as you show.... Good to know it's supposed to be that way.

Barry

seta666

Post by seta666 »

bklein wrote:Cool! Glad I asked.
I already had one of these and recently got another and didn't know I had the first (=stupid me). The first one I bought for something close to $75 and the second was $20 plus $10 shipping. From the same seller it turns out. I still haven't tried them. I was a little worried when I found the outer casing loose and so removable as you show.... Good to know it's supposed to be that way.

Barry
So you have two bd plans, hummm, interesting. Sell me one please!!! ;-)

PD- No need anymore, I bought one on Ebay for 65$ + 10$ shipping, so morpha´s quote was right ;-)

morfa

Post by morfa »

This should have been included in the original post – photos showing both lenses.

Image Image
BD M Plan to the left and E Plan LWD to the right in both images. In the right image the BD barrel is unscrewed revealing that the main difference in height is due to the barrel.

Nowadays I manically try to cover any non-glass surface visible to the sensor in flocking (protostar "flocked light trap")! I've seen how much difference it can make. I'm sure it's not always necessary but I happily enjoy the placebo effect. :)

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Wow, the height difference without the cover is big indeed; what is the working distance of your BD lens without it?
I bought some floacking material myself, I want to isolate some extension tubes, adapters and may even use it as background for some shots I do not want any reflections in.

I remebered seeing this adapter recomended by you and bought it for te JML, if it works with BD´s perfect then

Yesterday I did some more test with the E plan and I can say with controlled lighting is virtually CA free. Black hairs and bright background is the worst scenario possible for this lens. I will post my polen and aphid shots when I finish with them.

Apart from nikon lenses do you know about some other manufacturer with good cheap lenses? there are many leitzs and olympus in ebay
Regards

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Well, I did my own test and you can see my conclusions http://www.flickr.com/photos/seta666/4741927993/. For me both lenses are good with its own advantages, I am glad I have both and I will continue to use both, depending on my needs
Regards

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic