Infinity objective with Raynox DCR-150 as tube lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Blame

Post by Blame »

Interesting thread.

I am just finishing a setup using a full frame camera:

Sony a900
Sigma 180mm f/5.6 macro
Mitutoyo 5x na 0.14, 10x no 0.28

I am wondering if I should try a ranox.
A quick test showed that the objective didn't vignet too badly with a 90mm tamron macro and a cropped sensor (sony a350), so after a lot of experimentation I may move to a 120-135mm focal length. The experimentation to check corner blur with the tamron.

Short listed would be a Carl Zeiss 135mm f/3.5 (m42 fit) or a ranox 250 (diopter 8, about 125mm focal length).

The CZ is a good lens, with little fall off in quality in the corners, but will the ranox be better? Can anybody sugest an even better choice?

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Joaquim,

See the comments by Bob S.

Should be rather easy attaching a UV filter to the Raynox.

The prices of the 'Baader Fringe Killer' don't look too severe.

I don't know anything about them.

Is anyone using them for macro, if so, why?

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=27
Rather than simply trimming the shorter wavelengths at a chosen wavelength and slope like all other minus violet filters, the Fringe Killer carefully attenuates a specific region of the spectrum. This allowed Baader to tune the filter for maximum practical reduction of the most damaging defocused blue wavelengths, with only a faint yellow color shift - without dimming and lowering image contrast by resorting to reduction of the important green-yellow wavelengths to crudely restore an apparent color balance! (where the eye is very sensitive, and where refractors are their sharpest) The result is a filter that removes the majority of color fringe, without affecting image brightness all, imparting strong coloration, or reducing contrast at important wavelengths.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic