Nikon CF Plan EPI 5x infinity for compound microscope?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Enoplometopus

Nikon CF Plan EPI 5x infinity for compound microscope?

Post by Enoplometopus »

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my compound microscope: Since years I use a special camera connector sold to me by the manufacurer to attach the camera to the microscope. Unfortunately the microscope is old (30 years?), and the camera connector is young (about 8 years). I have problems in getting a real sharp shot; slight chromatic aberrations, it looks unsharp in the photo while in the two eyepieces it is crisp. Magnifications of the shot show clear CA, and once I try to take a photo with camera directly held over the photo tube (without the camera connector inbetween), it looks much sharper and with no CA...

Now I read that modern camera connectors are not made for finite lenses (160/-), but for infinites, and if you use it with finite lenses you will get slight CF.

Unfortunately, all my lenses on the compound microscope are finites (160/-; 170/-), so I guess this is what causes my red/green CA. I'd like to try an infinite lens, like this one on ebay (230482008125), which is due in a couple of days.

Does anyone know this lens? Is it true that "modern" camera connectors are are somehow incompatible with finites and need infinites? This is the only way I can explain the difference between eyepiece picture and digital photo taken from the same motive...

Cheers, Daniel

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

What make are the microscope and objectives?
Does the adapter have any lens in it?

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Daniel,

Nearly all of the older "finite" objectives required corrective, or compensating eyepieces to complete the chromatic corrections. There was no standardization for this "correction" between manufacturers. (And even within the same manufacturers line, sometimes certain objectives required correction and some did not). With the newer "infinity" microscopes this final correction is done in the internal tube lens (Zeiss and Leica) or completely in the objective itself (Nikon and Olympus). Either way, there is no need for color "corrective" eyepieces with the newer systems.

It would be good to know more specifics about the adapter, and the other microscope optics. It does sound like you have objectives that require eyepiece compensation, and you are using the proper viewing eyepieces... so the viewing image is sharp and clear of CA. But the newer optics in the adapter are possibly non-corrective. The puzzling thing is that you say you have a CA free image when you "take a photo with camera directly held over the photo tube (without the camera connector inbetween)". This sounds like the optics in the adapter are either not very good, or may be corrective, but supplying the wrong types of correction for your system. It may be adding CA to the image, and when removed all you have is the uncorrected CA in the objective which may actually be fairly low. This camera/microscope connection can be tricky when you are dealing with older microscopes. It really is best, if at all possible, to use the optics that the manufacturer made to be used together.

Putting "infinity" type objectives on a "finite" microscope stand is not a good idea. They really should be used with a proper tube lens. You will be able to get an image, but it is difficult to say how good it will be.

Tell us a little more about the adapter and how it is set up.

Blame

Post by Blame »

You already have your solution. You need to mount your camera directly over the photo tube. That is the best solution for non-infinite Nikon CF objectives with a cropped sensor camera.

Nikon CF's are known to need no further compensation from an eyepiece, but plenty of others work too. You just have to be lucky or knowledgeable. Clearly you are lucky!

Your adapter is wrong because it is designed to be used with a photo eyepiece. Ether you don't have one (thus total tube length too long), you have an incompatible one (applying the wrong correction) , or it is just a bad solution (your objectives have good field of view and work best without the additional magnification of an eyepiece).

It is possible you can shorten your adapter into what you need. Maybe with the aid of a hack saw?

Enoplometopus

Post by Enoplometopus »

Hi Charles and all,

Charles Krebs wrote:Daniel,

Nearly all of the older "finite" objectives required corrective, or compensating eyepieces to complete the chromatic corrections. There was no standardization for this "correction" between manufacturers. (And even within the same manufacturers line, sometimes certain objectives required correction and some did not). With the newer "infinity" microscopes this final correction is done in the internal tube lens (Zeiss and Leica) or completely in the objective itself (Nikon and Olympus). Either way, there is no need for color "corrective" eyepieces with the newer systems.

It would be good to know more specifics about the adapter, and the other microscope optics. It does sound like you have objectives that require eyepiece compensation, and you are using the proper viewing eyepieces... so the viewing image is sharp and clear of CA. But the newer optics in the adapter are possibly non-corrective. The puzzling thing is that you say you have a CA free image when you "take a photo with camera directly held over the photo tube (without the camera connector inbetween)". This sounds like the optics in the adapter are either not very good, or may be corrective, but supplying the wrong types of correction for your system.
This is exactly what I think. I read in the web page of a company offering new photo connectors with lenses, that "it will supply a sharp and CA free image, except when using older objectives that are already corrective – in this case it will produce slight horizontal CA and a little loss of sharpness". This sounds like in the older objectives there is a correction done, and the lenses in the photo connector do an additional correction which causes CA. Below I will add some example pictures of shooting with and without the photo connector.
Charles Krebs wrote:
It really is best, if at all possible, to use the optics that the manufacturer made to be used together.
No doubt about that. Only for an old microscope this is hard to find...
Charles Krebs wrote:
Putting "infinity" type objectives on a "finite" microscope stand is not a good idea. They really should be used with a proper tube lens. You will be able to get an image, but it is difficult to say how good it will be.
Good to know...
Charles Krebs wrote:
Tell us a little more about the adapter and how it is set up.

Here is the microscope. It is from Leitz, I guess it is around 30 years old, and the name is Laborlux D

Here is what I tried in order to see what image quality I would get without the photo connector. The camera was still a bit shaky, and in order to get the same crop to compare, I had to magnify the picture much more (see overviw pictures for comparison). But still the result is clearly more sharp than the one taken with the photo connector, and much lesser CA:

Here is the photo connector and the resulting picture:

Thanks a lot for any advise you can give...

Cheers, Daniel

Blame

Post by Blame »

It has been pointed out that my last post was, well to be tactfull, tactless.

When I said that you had been clearly lucky (to own objectives that work well without correction), I was not intending to imply any lack of ability on your part. I mearly assumed from your posts that you were, like myself, on a budget.

It is easy to solve all problems with money, but it is very much the spirit of this site to be adventurous in our puchases. The objectives that are well known to be excelent are unafordable. so we take gambles and trust to luck and inginuity to sort out the resulting problems.

Enoplometopus

Post by Enoplometopus »

Blame wrote:It has been pointed out that my last post was, well to be tactfull, tactless.

When I said that you had been clearly lucky (to own objectives that work well without correction), I was not intending to imply any lack of ability on your part. I mearly assumed from your posts that you were, like myself, on a budget.
No problem with this ;-). Indeed it fits; in microscopes I am not knowledgeable at all. People like Charles are, but I can at best be lucky ;-) But right now I'm not :-(

I tried all the objectives with bellows, without microscope, and though all are finites, the 4x is the only one that can be used without an additional lens (still gives a bit of CA, but somehow bearable). The others (10x, 25x, 40x) give ugly pictures when used on the bellows.

Mounting the camera directly over the trino tube without a photo connector might not be a solution. The picture is too small. Also it gets worse with bigger magnification, so this "test" just worked with the 10x. The 4 x gives a small circle, and the 25 and 40x give an unsharp picture this way (camera directly on the microscope without photo connector).

I found an adjustment opening in the photo connector tube where you have access to one of the lenses. But this adjustment which alternates the distance between two different lenses (or lens groups) will just alter the magnification by a few percent, probably it is just meant to adjust the picture size.

But I saw that the photo connector consists of two parts: The main part containing all the lenses, and a shorter upper part carrying the camera. I can imagine that the upper part can be removed and replaced by a longer or shorter one, probably adapting the whole thing to certain microscope types or models. Maybe I just need a shorter upper part so the camera comes to sit nearer to the lenses. I'll phone Leica about this next Monday...

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Blame wrote:It has been pointed out that my last post was, well to be tactfull, tactless.

It is easy to solve all problems with money
Equally erroneous, too many examples to bother quoting.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Daniel wrote:
"Since years I use a special camera connector sold to me by the manufacurer to attach the camera to the microscope."

Is the adapter branded Leitz?
Can it be dismounted?. If affirmative, doses it contain an eyepiece inside?

Leitz objectives need correction of both CA and flatness of field in the eyepiece. The adequate eyepiece is named Periplan. (this is why your image is better trhough the eyepiece). Because there are not periplan eyepieces whith less than 6.3x magnification (or I never found one), you need an adapter, like the original Leitz, that takes inside the eyepiece and has a photo lens over it that projects the virtual image of the eyepiece as a real image onto the sensor.
Another aproach is to find or make an adapter that fits a periplan in the photo port at the adequate high to be parfocal with the viewing eyepieces and place the camera whith a 50mm standard lens over it, on a reproduction macro stand or similar (enlarger base...).
And another one, of course, is to switch to Nikon cf finite (160) objectives. In this case, you will see the reverse optical problems trough the periplan viewing eyepieces because the images will be overcorrected, but (assuming your camera coupler do not perform any correction) the image in the camera can be OK, but 2.5X will be adequate for a 5D but a bit too croped whith a 50D.
Your Leitz EF objectives are good semiplan achromats whith very good resolution and contrast, but whithout stacking you can have some problems at the borders of the image.
I mostly use NPL Fluotar and Pl Apo leitz objectives and when paired whith periplan eyepieces they are excellent.

(Please see krebs articles at http://www.krebsmicro.com/ for excellent info)
Please excuse my poor english
Pau

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Daniel,

The additional information was helpful. Your adapter has a 2.5X magnification (at least it is marked as such). How this is accomplished we don't know (and it has no manufacturers markings). You can get a 2.5X "projection" magnification several ways. It's possible to do it by "raising" a conventional viewing eyepiece some millimeters higher than it's normal position (sometimes this can cause other optical "problems" to creep in). It can be done or by altering the “eye lens” spacing of a viewing eyepiece . But it is best done by designing a projection type eyepiece for that specific purpose (such as the NFK's that I use with my Olympus). My suspicion is that yours is a 2.5X projection design, but does not provide any additional chromatic correction. So instead of doing the final color "correcting" (as would be provided by a corrective Leitz Periplan viewing eyepiece) it simply magnifies the intermediate image 2.5X (which makes the existing CA more noticeable). It is also entirely possible that it is adding some of its own CA to the final image as well.

CA in these older objectives varies. (And it should be emphasized that this is not really a "defect"... the manufacturers designed them with the intent that the eyepieces would "complete" the image, and thus be considered an integral part of the overall optical system). With some objectives, the CA (and possibly field curvature), is strong and really does need to be corrected. With others it is there, but some viewers may not find it too objectionable.

"Direct projection", as you have done by holding the camera body close to the trinocular head, is an interesting option with the smaller frame sized ("APS" and 4/3) DSLR's. (It obviously does no correction for CA, but it would avoid additional CA form a poorly matched relay optic.) It is not always easy or possible to do. Often the camera body (even with all trinocular tube adapters removed) can't be positioned close enough to the objective so that the image is in focus in the camera at the same time as it is in focus with the viewing eyepieces. You could focus the microscope for the camera, but then you are altering the designed optical tube length, which is really not a good idea with higher power, higher NA objectives. Also, many trinocular heads have physical internal dimensions that will not permit exposures to the full frame (mechanical vignetting…dark circular edges). But you have already found out that you are not satisfied with the CA characteristics in direct projection since you did try them on bellows.

So if you are not satisfied with the CA correction you are now getting, there are a couple things you could try.

The first (and perhaps others here can offer advice since I am not very familiar with Leitz products) would be to see what Leitz offered to be used in the trinocular head with this series objectives when a 35mm camera was used. This would be the best option, but finding (and probably paying for) this might not be easy.

Second would be to try a corrective Leitz Periplan objective slightly elevated in the trinocular tube. This could provide some needed chromatic correction, but as I said earlier, seems to introduce some problems as well. The overall result might be better than you get now, never know unless you try it.

The third approach would be to go to an “afocal method”. Put a proper corrective Leitz Periplan “high eyepoint” eyepiece in the trinocular tube, and adjust things so that it is in focus (with your eye) at the same time as the viewing eyepieces. Then attach a lens to your camera and position it above the eyepiece. This can work surprisingly well. The difficult part is finding a proper lens. Zoom lenses are too deep, and the aperture is too far back into the lens. The lens needs to be relatively “thin” so that so that it can be positioned close enough to the eyepiece that entrance pupil of the lens coincides with the “eyepoint” of the eyepiece. Ideally you would want a focal length of about 40mm for an “APS” sized sensor and about 63mm for a 24x36mm sensor. The lens should be focused at “infinity”. Remember that there are many “adapters” that allow other makers lenses to be attached to Canon bodies and still allow “infinity focus”, so there are more choices than just Canon lenses. (There are some older “pancake” style lenses certain manufacturers made in the 40-45mm range that might be very good for this use when adapted to the EOS body.)

Some other links that you might find interesting:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=48278
(check the Ted Clarke links given in this post as well)

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/img ... oscope.pdf

And one last point... even good achromats will show some chromatic "issues" when examined closely. They are, after all, achromats. (And the digital camera seems to be much less forgiving of CA than the human eye) There's a reason that manufacturers charge 10 to 20 times as much money for an Apo or Superachromat. See: http://www.dantestella.com/zeiss/achromat.html

But if you are seeing very significantly more CA in your pictures than you see through the eyepieces than you can probably do better. The camera/microscope link can be a tricky one!

Blame

Post by Blame »

Oh well, I had hoped that you were on to an easy solution.

Leitz, I think are one of those manufacturers who definitely does use correction in there eyepiece's.

It is worth noting that the only significant glass in a finite microscope are the objectives and eyepieces. Otherwise they are much the same.

Those are definitely Leitz objectives, and I presume leitz eyepieces. As long as you use them I suspect you are going to be locked into official Leitz camera adapter solutions.

However.. You don't absolutely need eyepieces for photomacrography, and those objectives are not particularly good. Replace one with a Nikon CF and you might be on to a solution. There is a very good chance it will work better with your adapter.

If not then mounting the camera direct is still a posible solution. It is true that the actual designed focal point is at about 150mm, which is a bit shorter than your tube length, but Nikons work well a little longer.

Enoplometopus

Post by Enoplometopus »

Pau wrote:Daniel wrote:
"Since years I use a special camera connector sold to me by the manufacurer to attach the camera to the microscope."

Is the adapter branded Leitz?
Not branded, but it was sold to me by Leica who also takes care of Leitz microscopes...
Pau wrote:
Can it be dismounted?. If affirmative, doses it contain an eyepiece inside?
Yes, I can dismount it, and it has two lenses inside. The lower one is fixed (it may be a Periplan, or it may not), and the upper one can be moved up and down by about 10 mm, probably for adjusting the pictures size a bit (probably a magnification lens)...
Pau wrote:
Leitz objectives need correction of both CA and flatness of field in the eyepiece. The adequate eyepiece is named Periplan. (this is why your image is better trhough the eyepiece). Because there are not periplan eyepieces whith less than 6.3x magnification (or I never found one), you need an adapter, like the original Leitz, that takes inside the eyepiece and has a photo lens over it that projects the virtual image of the eyepiece as a real image onto the sensor.
Another aproach is to find or make an adapter that fits a periplan in the photo port at the adequate high to be parfocal with the viewing eyepieces and place the camera whith a 50mm standard lens over it, on a reproduction macro stand or similar (enlarger base...).
That will be one option if I cannot improve the present connector...
Pau wrote:
And another one, of course, is to switch to Nikon cf finite (160) objectives. In this case, you will see the reverse optical problems trough the periplan viewing eyepieces because the images will be overcorrected, but (assuming your camera coupler do not perform any correction) the image in the camera can be OK, but 2.5X will be adequate for a 5D but a bit too croped whith a 50D.
I have the Nikon E Plan 10/0,25LWD 160/-, and I tried to put it into the microscope and use it with the photo connector – the result is more or less the same: Tremendous loss of sharpness in the photo if compared to what I see in the eyepieces.
Pau wrote:
Your Leitz EF objectives are good semiplan achromats whith very good resolution and contrast, but whithout stacking you can have some problems at the borders of the image.
I mostly use NPL Fluotar and Pl Apo leitz objectives and when paired whith periplan eyepieces they are excellent.

And what exactly do you do to connect your camera to the microscope?

(Please see krebs articles at http://www.krebsmicro.com/ for excellent info)
Please excuse my poor english

Enoplometopus

Post by Enoplometopus »

Charles Krebs wrote:
The additional information was helpful. Your adapter has a 2.5X magnification (at least it is marked as such). How this is accomplished we don't know (and it has no manufacturers markings). You can get a 2.5X "projection" magnification several ways. It's possible to do it by "raising" a conventional viewing eyepiece some millimeters higher than it's normal position (sometimes this can cause other optical "problems" to creep in). It can be done or by altering the “eye lens” spacing of a viewing eyepiece . But it is best done by designing a projection type eyepiece for that specific purpose (such as the NFK's that I use with my Olympus). My suspicion is that yours is a 2.5X projection design, but does not provide any additional chromatic correction. So instead of doing the final color "correcting" (as would be provided by a corrective Leitz Periplan viewing eyepiece) it simply magnifies the intermediate image 2.5X (which makes the existing CA more noticeable). It is also entirely possible that it is adding some of its own CA to the final image as well.
The connector (or coupler) has two lenses, the lower one is fixed, and the upper one slightly movable (about 10 mm, probably to adjust the pictures size a bit). Technically the lower one could be a Periplan )or something else), and the upper one could be a magnifying lens. But I will call Leica next week to try finding it out. (I bought it about 8 years ago, hope they still remember what they sold me ;-)
Charles Krebs wrote:
CA in these older objectives varies. (And it should be emphasized that this is not really a "defect"... the manufacturers designed them with the intent that the eyepieces would "complete" the image, and thus be considered an integral part of the overall optical system). With some objectives, the CA (and possibly field curvature), is strong and really does need to be corrected. With others it is there, but some viewers may not find it too objectionable.
My problem is not so much a visible CA but a tremendous loss of sharpness in the photo or on the screen compared to what I see in the eyepiece. I also asked myself if I am not expecting too much, but I don't really think so. In the viewfinder I can see details of zooxanthellae, and the picture on the screen shows me a blurry mix of colors inside the zoox without distinguishable details.
Charles Krebs wrote:
The first (and perhaps others here can offer advice since I am not very familiar with Leitz products) would be to see what Leitz offered to be used in the trinocular head with this series objectives when a 35mm camera was used. This would be the best option, but finding (and probably paying for) this might not be easy.
I'll try to find it out. They will probably say that the one they have sold me is exactly this. But I'll find out...
Charles Krebs wrote:
Second would be to try a corrective Leitz Periplan objective slightly elevated in the trinocular tube. This could provide some needed chromatic correction, but as I said earlier, seems to introduce some problems as well. The overall result might be better than you get now, never know unless you try it.

The third approach would be to go to an “afocal method”. Put a proper corrective Leitz Periplan “high eyepoint” eyepiece in the trinocular tube, and adjust things so that it is in focus (with your eye) at the same time as the viewing eyepieces. Then attach a lens to your camera and position it above the eyepiece. This can work surprisingly well. The difficult part is finding a proper lens. Zoom lenses are too deep, and the aperture is too far back into the lens. The lens needs to be relatively “thin” so that so that it can be positioned close enough to the eyepiece that entrance pupil of the lens coincides with the “eyepoint” of the eyepiece. Ideally you would want a focal length of about 40mm for an “APS” sized sensor and about 63mm for a 24x36mm sensor. The lens should be focused at “infinity”. Remember that there are many “adapters” that allow other makers lenses to be attached to Canon bodies and still allow “infinity focus”, so there are more choices than just Canon lenses. (There are some older “pancake” style lenses certain manufacturers made in the 40-45mm range that might be very good for this use when adapted to the EOS body.)
Sounds interesting. I spontaneously remember the 40 mm pancake from Pentax...
Charles Krebs wrote:

Some other links that you might find interesting:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=48278
(check the Ted Clarke links given in this post as well)

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/img ... oscope.pdf
Thanks, great information...
Charles Krebs wrote:
And one last point... even good achromats will show some chromatic "issues" when examined closely. They are, after all, achromats. (And the digital camera seems to be much less forgiving of CA than the human eye) There's a reason that manufacturers charge 10 to 20 times as much money for an Apo or Superachromat. See: http://www.dantestella.com/zeiss/achromat.html

But if you are seeing very significantly more CA in your pictures than you see through the eyepieces than you can probably do better. The camera/microscope link can be a tricky one!
[/quote]
As mentioned above it is more loss of sharpness. i can see some CA, but there is no sharpness at all, while the picture sin the eyepieces is fantastic.
Charles Krebs wrote:
Last edited by Enoplometopus on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoplometopus

Post by Enoplometopus »

Blame wrote:Oh well, I had hoped that you were on to an easy solution.
Not exactly. After I have seen Charles' pictures, I am heading for the best solution ;-)
Blame wrote:
Leitz, I think are one of those manufacturers who definitely does use correction in there eyepiece's.

It is worth noting that the only significant glass in a finite microscope are the objectives and eyepieces. Otherwise they are much the same.

Those are definitely Leitz objectives, and I presume leitz eyepieces.
Yes, Periplan 10X / 18
Blame wrote:
As long as you use them I suspect you are going to be locked into official Leitz camera adapter solutions.

However.. You don't absolutely need eyepieces for photomacrography, and those objectives are not particularly good. Replace one with a Nikon CF and you might be on to a solution. There is a very good chance it will work better with your adapter.

If not then mounting the camera direct is still a posible solution. It is true that the actual designed focal point is at about 150mm, which is a bit shorter than your tube length, but Nikons work well a little longer.
Yes, I will keep all that in mind. Anyway I want to get some Nikon CF objectives for working with the bellows, and if I could find a way to use it for the compound microscope as well, that might be good. But first I will try to find out what adapter I have, respectively what exactly it is doing. I guess it is a kind of standard thing used for several types of microscopes, not really one with a Periplan in it. But I might be wrong...

What I found out is that the resulting picture in the Periplan eyepieces has the same clarity and sharpness, whether I use my Leitz 10x or the Nikon E Plan 10 x. And if I take one of the Periplan eyepieces and hold it on top of the camera adapter, about 10 cm over it, I can see the same clear and sharp picture, only 2,5 times larger...
Blame wrote:

Peter M. Macdonald

Post by Peter M. Macdonald »

Your adaptor is made by Leitz. I have the same adaptor, bought from Leica in the United Kingdom, for use with their photomacroscope. That too was from the era of the correcting eyepiece.

I think that what is really the issue here is vibration from the camera shutter rather than a lack of sharpness from the relay lens in the adaptor. I note that the last photograph which you have posted was shot at 1/50 of a second. This is right in the middle of where shutter vibration is a major problem on a microscope. I also noted that you were shooting at ISO 640.

I think that the adjustment in the adaptor is intended to allow you to get the sensor parfocal with the eyepieces. Try to adjust this so as to get the best image quality through the camera that you can whilst using live view.

Can I suggest a few simple expirements to see if the problem really is vibration?

First, crank up the ISO to the highest possible on your camera and take a photograph. This will be porr due to sensor noise. However, the exposure will be much shorter than 1/50 of a second. See if the noisy image is sharper than you are getting at the moment.

Second, turn down the ISO to 100. This will give a very much longer exposure. If you can trun down the lamp a bit, then so much the better. Try to get an exposure of about 1 full second. This should give the vibration caused by the shutter pening to die away and most of the image to form after the vibration has (hopefully) died away. Use mirror lock up and trigger the shutter with a cable release. If this gives a better picture than you have been getting, the problem is undoubtedly shutter vibrations.

A third expirement. Take the camera off of the adaptor and remove the Canon adaptor and put it aside. Then mount the camera on a copy stand if you have one, or on a tripod if you do not have a copy stand. Place it over the open end of the adaptor. The camera and the microscope are no longer mechanically coupled. Vibrations from the camera will not transmit into the microscope. Try to cover the gap between camera and adaptor with something lightproof. You can cobble something together with the inside of a toilet or kitchen roll as a temporary solution at a pinch. Or try working in a completely dark room with only the scope light. Try some test exposures, including reporducing your 1/50 at ISO 640 and see how this looks. Charles Krebs has a very useful page on his website at http://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/index.html showing this method in use. See also http://micropix.home.comcast.net/~micro ... index.html for further examples of this method in use.

As far as I know Leitz still sell the same adaptor as you have for use with their finite era scopes. I paid about £500 for mine about three years ago.

Hope that some of this rather longwinded post is of some use.

Regards,

Peter

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic