Unknown flora

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

Unknown flora

Post by elf »

This is about 95% manually stacked, with the other 5% contributed by Zerene Stacker. About 40 images contributed to the stack. The original images were all exposed a bit too far to the right and as a result the ZS stack had a lot of blooming around all of the edges. I blended the originals by hand, then added bits from the ZS stack where it handled the ghosting better. Once the blending was complete, I merged all of the layers and set the mode for the new layer to Multiply with an opacity of 50%.
Normally I'd just pick another one of the flowers (or what's left of the flower) and reshoot, but this was found on a walk and brought back to the studio. It was already starting to wilt by the time I started shooting. It's actually pretty easy (but rather tedious) to blend images by hand. I use a duplicate layer to toggle on and off to see which bits of the layer are sharpest, then paint on the mask of the original layer to show them.

It would be great if someone could Id the plant. I'm going to plant the seeds, so maybe I'll find out next year what it is :)

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I'm not sure without the sight of leaves, but it looks like it could be a (European) plantain, Plantago sp.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Yea definitely a Plantain (Plantago), I posted on on here a while ago.
It looks like Ribwort Plantain (P.lanceolata) but the clue is the leaf shape. Are they long and thin or short and stubby?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

elf

Post by elf »

Thanks for the id. I think I'll cancel my plans for planting the seeds :)

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:Thanks for the id. I think I'll cancel my plans for planting the seeds :)
Oh we've not quite nailed the ID yet, need to know what the leaves look like,what shape they are.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

elf

Post by elf »

Cyclops wrote:
elf wrote:Thanks for the id. I think I'll cancel my plans for planting the seeds :)
Oh we've not quite nailed the ID yet, need to know what the leaves look like,what shape they are.
While I know approximately where it was located in the grassy field, something tells me, I'll not be able to find the leaves for this particular plant. :smt089

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:
While I know approximately where it was located in the grassy field, something tells me, I'll not be able to find the leaves for this particular plant. :smt089
There are two main pastoral species in England, P.lanceolata with thin strappy leaves and P.major which has wide rounded leaves rather like a Hosta. However I'm guessing from the flower that it had long thin leaves and was therefore P.lanceolata. But I believe you are in Ireland which may have a different flora to England.
These are interesting plants in that, like grasses they are wind pollinated,which leads me to believe they are a primitive group of plants that arrived on the scene before insects did.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Elf, here's my Plantain pic from last:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... t=plantain

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

What aperture you used in the original images ? Looks very sharp...
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

elf

Post by elf »

Cyclops wrote:Elf, here's my Plantain pic from last:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... t=plantain
It's definitely a different species as your flower has quite a bit more height to it. We'll try wandering through the same field this weekend to see if we can find the plant.
gmazza wrote:What aperture you used in the original images ? Looks very sharp...
It was f5.6 with the El-Nikkor 50mm. Sharpening was done on two layers, the first using an unsharp mask at 20, 50, 0 and the second a highpass filter at 4.0. This seems to give a good overall sharpness that works for the full size image as well as the downsized to 1000 pixels forum size.

elf

Post by elf »

Cyclops wrote:
But I believe you are in Ireland which may have a different flora to England.
I think it's leprechans in Ireland, not elfs :)

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:
I think it's leprechans in Ireland, not elfs :)
Ah so where are you located?

elf

Post by elf »

West of Rik, east of Charles, and north by northwest of you :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

!

Post by rjlittlefield »

Now there's a good question for a school quiz! Lots of room for thought in that one. I have to quibble though -- I think it's west by northwest of me. :wink:

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:West of Rik, east of Charles, and north by northwest of you :)
I don't know US geography verry well but I'm guessing Texas or Oklahoma?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic