Aphid rostrum

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Aphid rostrum

Post by Charles Krebs »

Backlit through a rose leaf, two more aphid shots. The first is included primarily to show the setting (5X with Canon 65MPE).

The second was taken with the Nikon 40/0.40 SLWD at 40X on sensor. (The surface you see angled in the lower right is the vein in the leaf seen running through the top shot.)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The lighting on that overview shot is great. Light coming through the leaf gives a stained glass appearance. I'm thinking "Sanctuary".

Very interesting shot of the mouthparts. I've never looked close at an aphid's beak, but somehow I was expecting a sharper tip. This thing looks like it would take a lot of pressure to penetrate the leaf.

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Tht first one is really fabulous-I love this approach!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

Beautifully shot:

These are interesting to compare with my recent aphid shots(Close up section) ..........I note that there are no red globules on the aphids or leaf....I am still wondering whether they are caused by the aphid or by the leaf bleeding where punctured?

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Rik,

The actual penetration of the plant tissue is accomplished by thin stylets that are guided by the rostrum. Good illustration here: http://www.insectscience.org/7.48/ref/figure3.html

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

Charles Krebs wrote: The actual penetration of the plant tissue is accomplished by thin stylets that are guided by the rostrum.
It's very interesting, in the photo at 20X is possible to see the (probably) stylets into the suction organ.
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the info & link, Charles -- most appreciated.

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

I like the first photograph very much, for its exquisite composition and lighting. Because of the DOF, I presume it's a stack? And how did you do the lighting, Charlie? One flash behind the leaf and some additional fill-in light directly on the aphids?

BTW, looking at the second photo of the mouthparts, I have a flashback of a lecture on plant pathology: The aphids salivation which is mentioned in the link given above, has important consequences in regard to plant patholgy because in that way plant viruses are transferred by the aphids. So in addition to the direct damage that aphids do to plants by sucking, this vector function which they have for viral plant diseases can cause further indirect damage.

--Betty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic