The seed factory

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Thunder

The seed factory

Post by Thunder »

25 stacks, Canon MP-E65 at 4x, 250th sec, f11?, iso200, flash, and mercury halide focus light on my macro workstation.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Nice shot. you just might want to adjust levels and maybe add unsharp mask in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro if you have it.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Cyclops wrote:Nice shot. you just might want to adjust levels and maybe add unsharp mask in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro if you have it.
Thank you Cyclops.

I have an iMac and have been waiting for CS5 to come out. I hope to get the student addition soon. I have been using iphoto which is some what limited in its scope. Although I do have DPP, I just never got around to learning how to use it :oops:

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Gimp is free and I find it useful for levels and also for resizing the for web. Nothing beats it.

There is a mac version but I haven't tried it on a mac! Apparently it can do anything photoshop can (but slightly differently), but I have not learned how to use it to its full advantage.

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

I agree that the colours could so with lightening up a bit and perhaps some contrast.

I really like the mixture of colours in the photo.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Aynia wrote:Gimp is free and I find it useful for levels and also for resizing the for web. Nothing beats it.

There is a mac version but I haven't tried it on a mac! Apparently it can do anything photoshop can (but slightly differently), but I have not learned how to use it to its full advantage.

I had GIMP and couldnt get my head round its odd interface! I got rid and stuck with photoshop elements, which I got for free
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Thunder wrote:
Cyclops wrote:Nice shot. you just might want to adjust levels and maybe add unsharp mask in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro if you have it.
Thank you Cyclops.

I have an iMac and have been waiting for CS5 to come out. I hope to get the student addition soon. I have been using iphoto which is some what limited in its scope. Although I do have DPP, I just never got around to learning how to use it :oops:
Oh CS5, thats gonna be big $$$!! I couldnt afford a copy of regular photoshop-lucky I got given a ciopy of elements!

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You can usually pick up a CD with key for Elements (or Photoshop occasionally) off EBAY if you don't want to pay for the manual and fancy box.

DaveW

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

DaveW wrote:You can usually pick up a CD with key for Elements (or Photoshop occasionally) off EBAY if you don't want to pay for the manual and fancy box.

DaveW
Well my Elements works fine, but it is only version 1, very old so cant update it! I did manage to download a B/W plug in for it that works tho!

Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Aynia wrote:Gimp is free and I find it useful for levels and also for resizing the for web. Nothing beats it.

I agree that the colours could so with lightening up a bit and perhaps some contrast.

I really like the mixture of colours in the photo.
Thank you Aynia

I did not know that there was a functioning version of Gimp for the iMac. I will look into it.
Last edited by Thunder on Sat May 08, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Cyclops wrote:
Thunder wrote:
Thank you Cyclops.

Oh CS5, thats gonna be big $$$!! I couldnt afford a copy of regular photoshop-lucky I got given a ciopy of elements!
Here in the states we can get the student edition--which is the same as the regular version but you can't upgrade it--from Adobe for $200.00

Still, even $200.00 is a lot of money for someone that has been unemployed for over a year with unemployment about to run out....

Thunder

Post by Thunder »

DaveW wrote:You can usually pick up a CD with key for Elements (or Photoshop occasionally) off EBAY if you don't want to pay for the manual and fancy box.

DaveW
Thank you DaveW for the idea.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

With permission! The seed factory - slight popping with Gimp. As Larry suggested moved the levels and added a wee bit of unsharp mask.

It has a funny interface, but then so does everying till you get used to it.

I love the red bit!! :) :shock:

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

What are we looking at? :?

Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Aynia wrote:With permission! The seed factory - slight popping with Gimp. As Larry suggested moved the levels and added a wee bit of unsharp mask.

It has a funny interface, but then so does everying till you get used to it.

I love the red bit!! :) :shock:
I see the advantages of what you have done here.

The red bit is part of the articulating arm of the work station. It is a section of coolant line from McMaster Car, I used #1 in the 13"x 1/2" size for $9.60 http://www.mcmaster.com/#coolant-hose/=706mqd

They are 30 miles from where I live here in Ohio. The shipping cost almost as much as the part itself, but was well worth it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic