Snail eye

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Joaquim F.

Snail eye

Post by Joaquim F. »

Hello, my first photo in the forum, a snail eye, I hope you enjoy it.
Taken with a Nikon D300, a 200/4 AI Manual lens and a 10X CF PLAN Infinity corrected microscope objective coupled with various adapters: RMS - T2 - Nikon F - extension tube - 52mm... and the objective!
A foam diffusor for the flash light.
The image is a little cropped.
Just one shot since the snail was alive and moving!

Best regards

Joaquim

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Live and moving, through a 10X objective -- impressive!

--Rik

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

That eye really seems to have character........I wonder if the snail experienced the bright after effects of the flash as we do??

The shot reminds me a little of the eye-on-a-stalk in the original War of the Worlds movie:

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Nice shot!!
I wonder just how much a snail does see, or do they just perceive light and dark?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cyclops wrote:I wonder just how much a snail does see, or do they just perceive light and dark?
On quick search for snail eye resolution ...

http://www.applesnail.net/content/anatomy/senses.php
The structure of the eye does not provide detailed vision, they rather function as directional light sensors that give the snail an orientation towards light sources.
It appears that the eyes of apple snails are rather optimized for optical sensitivity (night vision!) rather than for high detail vision. In fact, two mechanism are used in the apple snail eye to increase sensitivity to light: the eyes are relatively large with a large lens (large eyes= more light captured) and the light sensitive cells (rhabdoms) are grouped and connected with the same neuron (pooling of signals or neural summation = higher sensitivety, but lower resolution). It has even been suggested that the optical sensitivity of the apple snail approaches that of the nocturnal spider Dinopis subrufus (Blest and Land, 1977).
The spatial resolution of the eye, however, is estimated to be around a poor 44 pixels (SEYER, J.O. et al. 1998).
One can conclude that the eyes of apple snails are suitable to find light and dark area's within their invironment, even at night, but that their overal vision in the sense of image quality is rather poor.
--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote: On quick search for snail eye resolution ...

http://www.applesnail.net/content/anatomy/senses.php

It appears that the eyes of apple snails are rather optimized for optical sensitivity (night vision!) rather than for high detail vision. In fact, two mechanism are used in the apple snail eye to increase sensitivity to light: the eyes are relatively large with a large lens (large eyes= more light captured)
One can conclude that the eyes of apple snails are suitable to find light and dark area's within their invironment, even at night, but that their overal vision in the sense of image quality is rather poor.
--Rik
Ah thats interesting, but of course an Apple Snail is an underwater snail (had one in my fishtank recently with disastrous results!), so their eyes would need to be more sensitive I imagine.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Joaquim F.

Post by Joaquim F. »

Rik, Sonyalpha, Cyclops: Thank you very much for your comments!

Sonyalpha: the snail did not seem to react with the flash, simply make his way. I also liked the "expression" of the eye, so I uploaded although the DOF was almost nonexistent!

Regards

Joaquim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic