Unknown make - 35mm macro bellows lens

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dunksargent

Unknown make - 35mm macro bellows lens

Post by dunksargent »

Just acquired this used unknown brand 35mm f3.5 macro bellows lens with a 42mm screw thread. No idea what quality the images might be or the optimum magnifications but will be interesting experimenting to find out. If anyone has used a lens the same as this I'd be pleased to read any comments. These photos were taken using a handheld Fuji f30 compact camera in macro mode using daylight with my diary utilised as daylight fill in reflector. The Fuji f30 is so useful as a basic internet/photo essay camera because it has exceptional low light capability and the macro facility is fine too.

Cheers

dunk
And now for something completely different.

mgoodm3

Post by mgoodm3 »

It looks almost exactly like a spiratone enlarging lens that I have. Mine works reasonably as a bellows lens when reversed. Not as good as a nice 35mm bellows lens, but not bad for $5.

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

mgoodm3 wrote:It looks almost exactly like a spiratone enlarging lens that I have. Mine works reasonably as a bellows lens when reversed. Not as good as a nice 35mm bellows lens, but not bad for $5.

Thanks for that ... the mount certainly looks the same ... I'll have to try it asap.

Cheers

dunk

mgoodm3

Post by mgoodm3 »

You won't likely need to reverse mount that one, unlike the enlarging lens.

morfa

Post by morfa »

This one also looks very much like the "AICO" branded one I slaughtered in this thread!

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

Thanks for that. Perhaps mine is one of the several badge engineered variants. The entrance and exit pupils appear to be the same diameter so there might not be much point in reversing it ie the manufacturer could rebadge the enlarger lens as a macro lens.

dunk

mgoodm3

Post by mgoodm3 »

The light that travels through an enlarging lens goes backward compared to the lens mount - opposite of a bellows lens. In order to maintain the "proper" conjugate distances for an enlarging lens, they will generally need to be reversed for work above 1:1 magnification. My 35 mm enlarging lens works significantly better when mounted in reverse. The bellows version should be optimized to work properly when mounted normally - I would hope at least. That might just mean that the lenses are mounted opposite in the housing compared to the enlarging lens.

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

I've got one marked as Spiratone Macrotar that looks identical to mgoodm3's. I disassembled it (since it wasn't a fantastic performer) and it consists of simply two apparently identical plano-convex elements with the aperture diaphragm between those. Here's some sample shots although some are stacked on other lenses, etc.
Last edited by PaulFurman on Tue May 11, 2010 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Well surely as its marked 'Macro lens' then surely it is a dedicated macro lens, not an enlarging lens, and designed to be used the conventional way?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Cyclops wrote:Well surely as its marked 'Macro lens' then surely it is a dedicated macro lens, not an enlarging lens, and designed to be used the conventional way?
Yes, but likely for use at lower magnifications than 1:1.

Nikon are quite precise ('Micro' lenses go up to but not beyond 1:1, 'macro' lenses go beyond 1:1) but most other manufacturers use 'macro' to cover macro, micro, and indeed 'close focus'.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic