Zeiss DSLR adapter on ebay (another one)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Zeiss DSLR adapter on ebay (another one)

Post by Pau »

This is the same adapter I use:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Zeiss-T-Mount-Trino ... 51922d5932
It clamps on 40mm diameter phototube of trinocular Standard and Universal Zeiss microscopes and mounts to the camera with a T2 adapter.

Originally designed for full frame SLRs whith 10X eyepiece it also works great whith APS dslrs whith an smaller magnification eyepiece. I use Leitz objectives and a 6.3X Leitz Periplan eyepiece (an exemple HERE: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9256 ) 6.3X0.25 = 1.575X, ideal for APSc cameras (see Kreb's article: http://krebsmicro.com/relayDSLR/relayoptics1.html ).
I recommend it for those whith such Zeiss microscopes. I think it also would be easily adapted to other trinocular microscopes
Last edited by Pau on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pau

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

The seller mentioned is 110% reliable. I have bought from him since my first days on the internet twelve years ago.

They had a huge fire and like the Phoenix rose again. Which I was pleased about.

bklein

Post by bklein »

It looks like there is a tube lens as part of it.
So are you suggesting it could be a 200mm and work with the Nikon CF infinites?

Barry

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

The optics inside this are not a "tube lens". It is quite different, and has nothing to do with infinity type objectives. It is meant to be used above an eyepiece in the trinocular tube to then form a real image on the camera sensor.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Barry, as well pointed Charles, it isn't a tube lens. In fact it's a photographic lens (F.L. 63mm acording Zeiss literature ) fix focused near infinite and it work following the afocal principle.
You can download the brochure:
http://www.zeiss.com/C1256F8500454979/0 ... hy35mm.pdf , pages 2-6 and 2-9

Because it's directly clamped to the microscope, in order to avoid vibration, long exposure, electronic flash or Canon DSLR whith live view may be recomended.

Perhaps it would be used whith a 2X teleconverter on an APSc DSLR with infinite objectives whithout eyepiece, but it is highly speculative, and the way tested by Rogelio Moreno is much more sure and I think may be less expensive:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9438
Pau

bklein

Post by bklein »

So would this be called a "relay lens"?
Also, in astronomy there is something called a Barlow lens. Does this come close to that?
Thanks for the reference article.

Barry

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Barry,

In essence, it's simply a 63mm lens focused to infinity. Very much as if you had a 63mm lens mounted to your camera and pointed it directly into a microscope eyepiece (aka "afocal" method). I would not call it a "relay lens" either... although that term is used for so many different things that some probably would.

The eyepiece alone forms a "virtual" image that needs an additional lens... either the one in your eye, or a "camera" lens... to produce a real image that can be "placed" on the retina or sensor/film.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Seven months later, another identic adapter on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/T2-camera-adapter-Z ... 2a0c1e2623
Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

...And another one (it's Zeiss, no Leitz): http://cgi.ebay.com/Leitz-Phototube-0-2 ... 43a4692d94
Pau

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

Last edited by SONYNUT on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just shoot it......

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Sonynut, good adaptation work, but it's an absolutely different kind of adapter:

You can couple the camera for direct projection on the sensor with your adapter, and this would work OK if the distance between the objective shoulder and the sensor is close to the the right one (150mm in finite objectives marked 160, 152mm in Leitz ones marked 170 and 200mm in most industrial ones marked 210), but no in infinite marked objectives that need a tube lens. The distance in your adapter seem too small for good image IQ and coverage,

BUT this approach only works really well with Nikon CF objectives because most (if not all) others finite corrected microscope objectives need corrections of the chromatic aberration and in some cases also others issues in the eyepiece, so the only way to obtain good IQ is to use them like they were designed: with corrective eyepieces (and the best ones are those of the same manufacturer and era of the objectives)

And there are two ways to do so: a low magnification (usually 2.5X) projection eyepice or a normal wide field and high eyepoint one and a camera lens, the "afocal setup". The last appoach can be done with any microscope and was the way implemented by Zeiss and Leitz in that time (50s-80s)

The adapter I linked follows this last approach and is mounted over an eyepiece in the photo port of a trinocular scope.

There is a lot of info in this fora about how to mount the camera on the microscope.
Pau

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

It's 159.7...but dont tell... :lol:

i haven't played with any infinite's yet...but this wrks with 160's fine...

all the link above are dead so i didn't know what you were looking at.. :wink:
Last edited by SONYNUT on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just shoot it......

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

SONYNUT wrote:It's 159.7...but dont tell... :lol:
This would be OK with low magnification objectives (the right distance is 150mm, not 160), but the chromatic aberration issue is important with the Zeiss and Olympus objectives you showed in your other posts. You can easily see it in all the periphery of your insect wing image
SONYNUT wrote:i haven't played with any finite's yet...but this wrks with 160's fine...
160 is finite as oposed to infinite, marked whit the infinite symbol
SONYNUT wrote:all the link above are dead so i didn't know what you were looking at.. :wink:
The last one still works (despite the auction is ended, you can see it if you are registred in eBay), and also you can see the pdf linked to the Zeiss site for more info.
Pau

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

I can drop it to 150 easy...just pull out a ring.....

I also made an eyepiece adapter that i use...I'll have to test the dif between running thru the head and direct..
Just shoot it......

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

SONYNUT wrote:I'll have to test the dif between running thru the head and direct..
I'll be interested to see the comparison. The image of a quarter that you posted in reggy's thread looks pretty clean, but your image of the insect wing 5 posts above this one has severe CA -- intense red fringes on the outsides of black features. Any idea what makes the difference?

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic