Cherry blossom: Front and Side views (image added)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

Cherry blossom: Front and Side views (image added)

Post by elf »

The front view is a simple single frame 85 image stack at approximately 2X:

The side view is a 2x1 panorama that was intended to be much larger. The blossom wilted before I was able to complete the rest of the panorama frames.
Last edited by elf on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tesselator

Post by Tesselator »

If you put it water it stays pert for a day or two. But I kinda don't think that's a cherry blossom. I think it's a plumb. The leaf is like plumb (cherry doesn't have that) and cherry is typically very white with only hints of pink toward the center.

Very nice images though!

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Cherry or plum, the colours are what attracts me. Beautiful.! :)

elf

Post by elf »

Tesselator wrote:If you put it water it stays pert for a day or two. But I kinda don't think that's a cherry blossom. I think it's a plumb. The leaf is like plumb (cherry doesn't have that) and cherry is typically very white with only hints of pink toward the center.

Very nice images though!
You're most likely correct. We've been living with it in our back yard for 20 years, but always assumed it was a flowering cherry. It could just as easily be (and probably is) a flowering plum :) The blossoms don't last long off of the tree even in water. The wilting starts almost immediately.
Aynia wrote:Cherry or plum, the colours are what attracts me. Beautiful.! :)
I didn't see the greens and yellows until it was in front of the lens. I just wish I could get it to hold still for a large panorama.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Lovely, it's definitely those green bits which are catching my eye! :)

Tesselator

Post by Tesselator »

elf wrote:
Tesselator wrote:If you put it water it stays pert for a day or two. But I kinda don't think that's a cherry blossom. I think it's a plumb. The leaf is like plumb (cherry doesn't have that) and cherry is typically very white with only hints of pink toward the center.

Very nice images though!
You're most likely correct. We've been living with it in our back yard for 20 years, but always assumed it was a flowering cherry. It could just as easily be (and probably is) a flowering plum :) The blossoms don't last long off of the tree even in water. The wilting starts almost immediately.
I've had various people who know tell me than none of these are cherry: http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Hanami_2010/ and although I'm not positive that all of them are plumb I know for sure all but the first 5 of them are. [actually I'm not 100% on #21 either - as it was standing outside the plumbs groves.]

This is a cherry blossom: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9351 <-- this was taken off the tree from a sprig that fell naturally onto my head while I was in the cherry blossom park partying. I claimed ownership as compensation. :)

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

They are all Prunus but I never noticed a green leafy thing inside like that! The orange dragon-pig-snouts are interesting.

elf

Post by elf »

This is a 67 image pano where each image had a generous overlap > 50%. It was done with a non-reversed Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.8 lens. With a little surgery the Konica lens will fit on 4/3rds camera. Fortunately, the entrance pupil for this lens is located very close to the same position as the reversed El Nikkor 50mm.

The center image was shot at f5.6 and focus stacked from another 55 images. After the center images were taken, I switched to f22 and shot the 66 individual frames for the rest of the pano.

Magnification is close to 2X. Print size is approximately 31"x36".

Olympus E-330

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Looks good. I certainly can't see where the center image edge is.

Sooo... the "rear" part of the image is from the 66 frames. ?

Given that you didn't need it sharp, could you have just used one image for the rear, taken with the sensor pushed up to the lens to take the whole bloom in?
If not, would that be only due to mechanical constraints?

elf

Post by elf »

I don't think the stitching would succeed using Microsoft ICE. The difference in scaling would be too much. It might be possible with PTAssembler where you can specify the parameters.

For this image I think f22 was a bit too much. It would have been better to bracket at f8, f11, and f16 at least for the frames around the center so the transition could be more gradual. I could also have moved the focus point for the f22 shots closer to the camera in order to get the closest petals a little sharper.

I've added a Deep Zoom of this to my website: http://www.efrench.members.winisp.net/

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice!

It's fun in the Deep Zoom to see that one anther facing us, opening at the end and splitting down the side to release its pollen.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic