new mfg Nikon 10X NA 0.25 finite objective looks very good

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Brodie Foster wrote: It shows as $73.00 until I choose my country as Australia, it then shows S$118.26. Maybe the 'S' means it includes shipping, which would be expensive shipping but I have emailed them requesting a quote so I will see what they say.
Maybe it is AUD?

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Brodie Foster wrote:[...] It was great for what I paid but the red paint annoys me. I want to try get the paint off but don't want to damage the chrome. Any ideas?
I would try denaturated alcohol (ethyl alcohol) first, on a kitchen paper tissue wetted with a few drops (not soggy, to avoid it from dripping or seeping into the objective). I remember a similar red lacquer on my specimen of the Nikon 10x E and its 26mm adapter (probably meant as a thread sealant but clumsily applied in overabundance), and it went away after some rubbing as mentioned above. There is no danger to the chrome plating with alcohol.
--ES

Grimnz

Post by Grimnz »

Brodie,

I think you will find that "S" stands for Singapore dollars.

cheers
Graham
Confused? I'm way past confused!

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Brodie,

S$ = SGD (Singapore Dollar). It's a regional code that Edmunds apply, for some logical reason that escapes me.

*Just noticed Graham has also responded.

Currently 1 AUD = 1.31558 SGD and 1 AUD = 1.06895 USD.
73.00 USD = 68.2883 AUD, so that's 68 Aussie dollars for that particular objective before shipping and export paperwork costs (which can become rather convoluted and expensive when dealing directly with Edmunds and other large US based companies). Edmunds do have a regional distributor; but the phone number listed on their website is incorrect.

Are you looking for a 10X objective? Which flavour do you prefer, finite or infinity-corrected? If you are interested in an infinity-corrected Nikon CFI60 10X (justifiably they command a higher price) send me a PM.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Brodie Foster

Post by Brodie Foster »

Last edited by Brodie Foster on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Brodie,

Here's the reply I received from Edmund Optics Singapore (approx. 30 mins ago)
Thank you for your enquiry.
We do not have any distributor in Australia, Edmund Optics Singapore is the sales support for the Asia Pacific market..

For sales enquiry, please contact Jodi/Timonthy/ Kelly
email: sgsales@edmundoptics.com.sg
For technical enquiry, please contact Terence/Pau Loong
email: sgtech@edmundoptics.com.sg

You may visit our website www.edmundoptics.com.sg for more information.
Please advise us the part number and quantity so that we could send you our official quote with delivery advice.
Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Brodie Foster

Post by Brodie Foster »

Last edited by Brodie Foster on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrLazer

Post by DrLazer »

Sorry to dig this thread back up, but I own one of these conjugate objectives. The testing on this thread shows some helpful results. The lens is tested at 10x and at 6.9x, but was a test ever done with an extension longer than what the objective was designed for. Say a 14x stack for example. I have a stack at 12x I am fairly happy with but I am not a versed micro photographer, stacker or anything else for that matter :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I don't have tests to show, but I'm sure the lens remains good with longer extension.

What it will do is to retain the level of detail shown in the first post's set of pictures, spread out over more pixels.

This means that if you're into pixel-peeping, the pixel-level detail will get softer.

But if you're interested in a specific size subject, then making it fill the frame is a good thing.

These low NA lenses are quite tolerant of adding extension to make that happen.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic