Tetherscript?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bklein

Tetherscript?

Post by bklein »

I don't find any mention of Tetherscript on this forum...
(camera control program, script based, control of autofocus lenses, etc. and more)
I just found a youtube demo of it. Anyone use it? Their server seems down right now but I could access their site last week. Looks pretty neat, but just for Nikons.
Demo video below shows how it takes photos for focus stacking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSYYZAZO40

Barry

mark_h

tehered

Post by mark_h »

the new version of helicon focus 5.0 had a tethered program for nikon and canon that does not require scripting, basically you identify a start point and the end point and tell the program how many shots you want and it does the rest. Helicon can then do the stack composition. There is a free trial I think.http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Interesting to look at - if their site comes back to life. There seems to be an issue with all tethering software that I've come across (even Nikon's own) which can't cope with M-up mode. I don't fully understand it and perhaps it has been fixed now but I found it a PIA when I was trying different packages.

Andrew

bklein

Post by bklein »

Helicon Remote seems to control the lens focus, but it is available only to those who purchased the pro version of the software. Not clear to me - does either of these programs provide the means to connect to a stepper controller to control a microscope focus knob or whatever...?

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

bklein wrote:Helicon Remote seems to control the lens focus, but it is available only to those who purchased the pro version of the software. Not clear to me - does either of these programs provide the means to connect to a stepper controller to control a microscope focus knob or whatever...?
Helicon remote certainly does "just" control the internal lens focus. Which is pretty nice if you think about it. So no good for a bellows set up or non AF lens.

I was trying to write a script / VB interface to my camera as I already run it USB tethered to transfer images. Couldn't find a way around so I still run out of my PIC based controller while tinkering with a VB interface communicating through a USB to digital i/o interface to drive motors, shutter release, etc.
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

bklein

Post by bklein »

AndrewC wrote: I was trying to write a script / VB interface to my camera as I already run it USB tethered to transfer images. Couldn't find a way around so I still run out of my PIC based controller while tinkering with a VB interface communicating through a USB to digital i/o interface to drive motors, shutter release, etc.
So Microchip offers a USB hosting microcontroller solution - would that get you to where you want to be - or the wrong direction?
Last edited by bklein on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

bklein wrote:
AndrewC wrote:
bklein wrote: I was trying to write a script / VB interface to my camera as I already run it USB tethered to transfer images. Couldn't find a way around so I still run out of my PIC based controller while tinkering with a VB interface communicating through a USB to digital i/o interface to drive motors, shutter release, etc.
So Microchip offers a USB hosting microcontroller solution - would that get you to where you want to be - or the wrong direction?
About 180degree wrong :)

I've got no problem with going VB > USB digital I/O to drive a stepper module, shutter, etc. The thing is, I currently have three cables running to the camera: trigger, USB tether for image transfer and a flash sync cable. Now, I'd like to reduce those by triggering the camera through the USB cable and maybe even detecting the flash sync signal. It is relatively trivial to get the camera to take a single shot. The problem is when you are in M-up mode - the handshaking goes gaga when it sees an image acquisition start but nothing is captured because the camera firmware is waiting for the second shutter release to take the picture. Very easy to get around when running a custom controller - you just send two shutter signals. Also easy to get around if you run VB > USB digital I/O card but somehow seems an hurdle if you run USB straight into the camera. Which is a shame.
rgds, Andrew

bklein

Post by bklein »

Seems both this Tetherscript and the Stackshot would then have the same issue then wouldn't they?
Is it because you are transferring the image to the pc? USB has something called endpoints and maybe either your host card/driver or the camera itself does not support enough of them to control the number of things you wish to manage. If you dump images to onboard flash maybe it would free up the shutter and mirror controls? You may though have to wait long enough to be sure the image is fully transferred to flash before the next shutter fire. I'm guessing at all this as I am not a software/firmware guru. Does Helicon Remote give you the same level of individual item control as Tetherscript may? (no canned sequences that may cause your grief)

Barry

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

I don't think so. The Stackshot doesn't tether the camera through USB to control it, it has a dedicated shutter cable. Same way I do.
rgds, Andrew

bklein

Post by bklein »

Have you tried this?
Maybe ask him about the problems you see.
http://www.diyphotobits.com/2008/10/20/ ... a-control/

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

So far as I know, it is an issue with the WIA protocol which these tethering packages tend to use. Like I said, it seems even Nikon can't get around it . The Camera Control Pro manual states
can select any mode other than M-UP (mirror up).
In WIA you basically send a command "capture an image" and then wait for the image to be captured. WIA is at the heart of lots of scanner interfaces, webcams, etc. It is probably related to why scanner app's seem to freeze while scanning.
rgds, Andrew

bklein

Post by bklein »

In WIA you basically send a command "capture an image" and then wait for the image to be captured. WIA is at the heart of lots of scanner interfaces, webcams, etc. It is probably related to why scanner app's seem to freeze while scanning.[/quote]

I have access to a USB analyser if anyone could understand the trace...

What if you were to use a generic USB widget to fire a solenoid on the shutter. Do these programs support scripts that would work with devices like this that are beyond the camera?

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

bklein wrote:In WIA you basically send a command "capture an image" and then wait for the image to be captured. WIA is at the heart of lots of scanner interfaces, webcams, etc. It is probably related to why scanner app's seem to freeze while scanning.
I have access to a USB analyser if anyone could understand the trace...

What if you were to use a generic USB widget to fire a solenoid on the shutter. Do these programs support scripts that would work with devices like this that are beyond the camera?
Best ask the developers. From what I've seen of the available scripts they aren't set up to link to 3rd party solutions. That's why I brew my own :)

With regard to triggering a shutter through a USB interface look at this thread (yours ! ):

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... +interface

Andrew

bklein

Post by bklein »

The tetherscript.com site is back up and I sent them an email asking about the shutter/mirror sequencing. I'll post the response.

Barry

bklein

Post by bklein »

Arghhh. back down again. I did manage to get a copy of the trial software. (haven't run it yet)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic