Langstone

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Langstone

Post by gpmatthews »

Much photographed and painted, the village of Langstone is just south of Havant where I grew up and where, thanks to the many springs, ponds streams and the proximity of the sea I became interested in pond life, microscopy etc. You can see the tower of Langstone Mill, and just behind it is a mill pond fed by a beautiful clear stream that runs through Havant.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Beautiful photograph Graham :D , you live in a very picturesque area. I can see where one would develop and interest in microscopy and/or nature observation here. What type of mill is that in the background and what was the tower used for (storage)? Never seen a mill with a tower before but I am a backwoods kind of guy. From the looks of the sky, with those high thin cirrus clouds, you probably had some inclement weather develop later on. Nice color and a good composition on this, I think. :D

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Ken, the mill had a dual function as a watermill and as a windmill. The tower would have been for the windmill sails. The mill was restored and is now residential.

Here is a picture of it in 1936, before restoration

Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

About time I got back around to this :roll: They did an excellent job in the restoration of the mill Graham. It would have been grand if they had restored the sails also. Interesting photo from "36" too. By the way, what happened to the mill originally? Did it just go to ruin due to the lack of care over time or were some other factors involved? :D

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I am not sure why the Mill fell into disuse, although there are many disused mills and remains of mills in the area. I can think of several others at Bedhampton, Brockhampton, Havant and Emsworth, all within fairly easy walking distance - perhaps when I'm in the area again I'll try and do a series of photos...

Anyway, here is a view looking back towards where I took the photo. This is taken from the quay which is in the centre of the first picture. At top left is the road bridge onto Hayling Island:

Graham

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A very nice shot here Graham. I like that boat. Do you know if those are made by individual craftsmen or are they factory mass produced? I priced one similar to that for small stream and pond flyfishing at one time. I was really shocked at the price but they were all costom made, by hand, by individual craftsmen. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic