Lieberkühn or Lieberkuehn, preferably not Lieberkuhn

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Lieberkühn or Lieberkuehn, preferably not Lieberkuhn

Post by gpmatthews »

This device was often mentioned in 19th century microscopy texts, but is rarely used these days. I decided to make one from plastic card lined with foil:

It is shown mounted on a Leica L 20/0.3 EF long working distance objective and used in conjunction with a 0.6NA substage condenser with wheelstop to block central rays. The resulting illumination is essentially circular oblique epi.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

elf

Post by elf »

I was thinking about incorporating this in my hood for the JML lens. I haven't figured out a good way to block light behind the subject.

What does your wheelstop look like? Can you post a picture of it?

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

This is the classic form of wheelstop made out of metal, but they can quickly be made by sticking a patch of electrician's insulating tape in the centre of a clear plastic disc. It sits in the substage filter holder at the lower focal plane of the substage condenser. Correct size is by experimentation.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Thanks for sharing this Graham.

I attached one of my objectives (Nikon 10x M Plan MI) to an Olympus CH2 microscope and noticed a similar effect with brightfield.

The objective has a chrome area surrounding the front of the objective that reflects some light back onto the subject (unintentional type of Lieberkühn); but I took note of it because the result was pleasing and applicable in some instances.

The Olympus objectives that came with the CH2 don't have such a feature and their WD is shallow.

Craig

*edit: oops, typo
Last edited by Craig Gerard on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Interesting diy method! Thanks!
That even I should be able to accomplish. :wink: The taped reflector that is, alas not this nice metal wheel stop :(

Graham, I took the liberty of expanding your title (from "Lieberkuhn" to "Lieberkühn or Lieberkuehn, preferably not Lieberkuhn") so that this posting on Lieberkühn reflector illumination can be retrieved more easily in the future. I hope you don't mind, but if you do, please let me know.

--Betty
Last edited by Planapo on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

No problem, Betty - I used "Lieberkuehn" in my posting of the aphid picture at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9971 using this device - an oversight misspelling the title here
Graham

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Thanks for the link, Graham! I had not seen your aphid photograph before. And it's good that we now have this posting in the technique section on your reflector linked to a photo shot with this reflector showing how really well it performs.

And besides I hope that I am not regarded as nit-picky concerning the spelling of the name. It's just that poor Mr. Lieberkühn gets mutilated so often. :wink:

--Betty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic