www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Some new equipment :) glass table mats
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Some new equipment :) glass table mats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Some new equipment :) glass table mats Reply with quote

Bought the wife some new table mats. For reasons I'm not sure about it's very hard to get melamine surfaced table mats nowdays but whilst out doing some Christmas shopping I saw some glass table mats and my brain light came on Smile- What a great surface for sliding a camera on Smile

Anway first shots using these as a camera slide for doing multiple shot focus stacks - 10 to 15 shot focus stacks using zerene of a Phalaenopsis orchid.

brian v.

Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
Quote:
Bought the wife some new table mats..... (emphasis added)
What a great surface for sliding a camera on

I know how that goes! Wink
Don't wax too poetic about the camera sliding capability in front of your wife or she'll start to wonder about the actual reason for their purchase! Very Happy

(and I can't help but wonder who scratched up the melamine surfaced table mats)
LordV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Krebs wrote:
Brian,
Quote:
Bought the wife some new table mats..... (emphasis added)
What a great surface for sliding a camera on

I know how that goes! Wink
Don't wax too poetic about the camera sliding capability in front of your wife or she'll start to wonder about the actual reason for their purchase! Very Happy

(and I can't help but wonder who scratched up the melamine surfaced table mats)

Smile Smile

She was actually pleased with the mats
Brian v.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw these pictures and discussion. A lovely way to start the day! Very Happy

Brian, please refresh my memory about how you use these things. I'd probably do something silly like tape down a ruler to guide the sliding of the camera. Do you run these completely freehand, except of course for the flat surface to slide on?

--Rik
LordV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
I just saw these pictures and discussion. A lovely way to start the day! Very Happy

Brian, please refresh my memory about how you use these things. I'd probably do something silly like tape down a ruler to guide the sliding of the camera. Do you run these completely freehand, except of course for the flat surface to slide on?

--Rik

Thanks rik,

I do run them free hand after doing a little bit of propping up of either the subject or the camera or both. I normally do a slide through first to check the FOV then go back to the nearest focus point and take the shot sequence. Obviously I do get a little unwanted movement which shows up very nicely in sensor spot trails which often come out in little lines but does not seem to affect the stack. I suspect i do not always get the the movement absolutely perpendicular to the subject but again the error seems too small to significantly affect the stack.

Brian v.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: