AO Spencer Junior, Vintage 1940 Stereomicroscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

AO Spencer Junior, Vintage 1940 Stereomicroscope

Post by Ken Ramos »

I recieved this as a gift quite unexpectedly and needless to say I am very greatful indeed. This little microscope is only nine inches tall and boasts some of the best optics you could expect to lay your peepers on or through. All mechanisms are tight and perfectly machined and fitted, there is no play in any moving parts. The lenses are exceptionally clean, color corrected I am assuming since I noticed no color fringes in some of the things I viewed and the image presented is very sharp. The body of the scope is cast metal with a wrinkle black finish, except for the binocular housing which is smooth and polished. A beautiful little stereomicroscope. :D

The eyepieces are 12X with the objectives being 1X and 2X. A stainless steel lever and a spring loaded latch enables the turrent to be turned and locked in place. The binocular housing is fully adjustable for pupil distance. :)

salden

Post by salden »

What a wonderful gift Ken. I am sure you will enjoy this very much.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am going to enjoy just looking at it. I plan to get a clear acrylic case with a nice hardwood base to house it in after I slightly spruce it up just a little. I don't want to do to much that might harm its finish or appearance. :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Congratulations Ken,thats a beauty!
I'd love to collect vintage scopes, when I win the lottery.......
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Not into microscopes so don't know much about them, but from that "U" shaped base and no mirror I can see it looks a bit like a dissecting microscope to me?

DaveW

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Could be Dave, but most stereomicroscopes are configured like this,with special low power lenses.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Congrats on your gift, Ken! From the "Junior" in the name, I'd have guessed this was intended for science-oriented kids (I had two mono microscopes between about 9 and 14 myself), but it looks like a professional piece of equipment from what I can see of the build.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

MikeB replied:
it looks like a professional piece of equipment from what I can see of the build.
Indeed it is built to professional standards Mike, they don't make scopes this well anymore and if they do, they are going to be quite expensive; I think it was intended for a classroom environment also. There are several attachment points on this little scope which tells me that there is a whole lot more to it than what I now have. I searched the internet hoping to find the complete set up for this scope but have found nothing on it. I guess it is too out dated, however, its optics are not. :wink:

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Perhaps "junior" has different meanings in the US, but in the UK it can also mean a smaller version of a larger model. Sort of a "lite" version of a microscope model. "Lite" being a term now beloved by software producers for cut down versions of larger programs!

DaveW

psneeley

Post by psneeley »

Ken,

Go to this site: http://xmission.com/~psneeley/Personal/Microscope.htm

and download the AO Blue Book (yes, it's big, but it's good). Now take a look at pages 132 to 134.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I suppose everything and then some that you would want to know about AO scopes is on that link. :o I tried to open the bluebook but the file would not do anything. I think my NAVIS may have it blocked, so I will have to check that soon. Thanks Steve! :D

psneeley

Post by psneeley »

Yes . . . somebody's spent way too much time :?

But, if you have problems getting the blue book to download, tell me how to send you those pages and I will -- no problem -- I can send them as jpeg if needed. They tell all about your scope and answer all the questions above, etc.

That is a fine scope, BTW. All the 'black' scopes by AO Spencer were just absolutely the best . . . so too were many of the later scopes. As you've discovered, you won't find better optics, IMHO.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks a lot Steve for the information on the AO Junior. I have contacted my source of the scope and have sent him the pages also. Maybe we can get the other half of the scope with the substage mirror or the regular base stand. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic