North Etiwanda Preserve

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

homestar455

North Etiwanda Preserve

Post by homestar455 »

This is definitely my favorite location, it's the place I captured all of the photos I've posted here thus far.

There are miles of different trails here, each going somewhere more amazing than the last. From the freshwater bog, to the streams and creeks, or up to some waterfalls way up in the canyons, not to mention some of the great views from 3,000ft+ elevation. There's a little of everything here.

180 degree panorama of the general area of the trails. From this point you can get to any of the previously mentioned areas in a rather short walk.
Full size available here 56K warning! (12MB)... Taken from here facing north.

One of the previously mentioned creeks:
Taken at about here.

A "panoramic viewing area" put in by the city when they opened the trail to the public.
Taken from about here aiming at these trees

The view from a couple miles up into the canyons.
Taken from about here, facing south.

This is actually all on a nature preserve. But they had too many twenty somethings driving their jeeps up in here, drinking, partying, and littering. So they opened it to the general public as a hiking trail and asked that people report illegal activities. Thus far it's worked great, though a lot of the wildlife activists still aren't happy about it being made so public.
Last edited by homestar455 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Pretty area!

Do I understand correctly that the North Etiwanda Preserve is centered on the hills dead center in this Google map?

Which road is that, running through the middle of your last picture?

--Rik

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

rjlittlefield wrote:Pretty area!

Do I understand correctly that the North Etiwanda Preserve is centered on the hills dead center in this Google map?

Which road is that, running through the middle of your last picture?

--Rik
Yeah it is.

You nailed it right on the nose, that's the main trail loop that it shows as "Etiwanda Ave", and as you can see there are several other unmarked trails leading out from it. (there's actually a few missing there because it's an old image)... Though it's not really on the hills, it's mainly at the foot of the hills, and then of course there are trails leading up into the hills out of the nature preserve and into national forest land.

I believe that's the flood-way for etiwanda creek if you follow that creek (east of the trail) down on your map. Because that photo was taken from about the center of this map

... Actually, you just gave me an idea, I should mark where each of the images was taken and what direction I was facing.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

homestar455 wrote:I believe that's the flood-way for etiwanda creek if you follow that creek (east of the trail) down on your map.
Flood-way, now that's a possibility that sure didn't occur to me. I've never lived in an area with such things. Around here, anything straight that carries water would be an irrigation canal.
Actually, you just gave me an idea, I should mark where each of the images was taken and what direction I was facing.
That would be very cool. I'm horribly out of date on how to do that, so if you can teach the rest of us, that would be marvelous.

-Rik

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

rjlittlefield wrote: Flood-way, now that's a possibility that sure didn't occur to me. I've never lived in an area with such things. Around here, anything straight that carries water would be an irrigation canal.
Yeah, around here we don't get much water so we pump most of it straight from the mountain streams into our processing, then to our homes. But every few hundred years we'll get some huge floods that are just way too much for our system, in which case a good portion spills over into reservoirs, and anything our reservoirs can't handle spills to the ocean... At least that's how I've been told it works.
That would be very cool. I'm horribly out of date on how to do that, so if you can teach the rest of us, that would be marvelous.

-Rik
Oh, I was just talking about editing the first post with links to google maps. Which I just did... It's not like these forums have a function to show exif data.... Though I could show you guys how to ad geotags to the exif... Once I take the time to figure it out myself. lol

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Looks like a nice place to hike indeed. Now "Etiwanda" and the landscape made me first think that we were in... erm :-k... Africa... the Cape Region perhaps...#-o :oops: :wink:

But google.maps soon made me realize that actually we are in the area of San Bernardino :smt035 :smt034 \:D/

Cool and interesting! Never been there before, thanks for showing!

Is that what we see in the background of pics ## 2 and 3 a view on the City of San Bernardino ?

--Betty :D

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Planapo wrote:Looks like a nice place to hike indeed. Now "Etiwanda" and the landscape made me first think that we were in... erm :-k... Africa... the Cape Region perhaps...#-o :oops: :wink:
Yep, it's a great place to go hiking.
Lol, I believe "Etiwanda" gets it's name from a tribe of native Americans that used to inhabit the region... It does kinda look like some parts of Africa though. lol
Planapo wrote:But google.maps soon made me realize that actually we are in the area of San Bernardino :smt035 :smt034 \:D/
Yep, that's the general area... I find it funny that I live here and I've never heard that song before. lol
Planapo wrote:Cool and interesting! Never been there before, thanks for showing!

Is that what we see in the background of pics ## 2 and 3 a view on the City of San Bernardino ?

--Betty :D
No problem.

Yes and no, "San Bernardino" is technically a county region that covers a large chunk of California. So yes what you're seeing is San Bernardino, but when it comes to what city you're seeing, #2 has at least two cities, and #3 has at least four cities.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic