Tarantula

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

homestar455

Tarantula

Post by homestar455 »

I came across this little guy on the trail last time I was out hiking.

Unfortunately, I didn't really get any good shots of him.

Thanks in advance for looking, and for any comments or critique you might have.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cool

I'm curious about your equipment and setup. According to Photoshop, that first image was shot with a Panasonic DMC-FZ7, f/8.0, FL=72 mm, no flash. So I'm thinking it must be with some sort of closeup lens or a lens combo. What can you tell me?

--Rik

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

rjlittlefield wrote:Cool

I'm curious about your equipment and setup. According to Photoshop, that first image was shot with a Panasonic DMC-FZ7, f/8.0, FL=72 mm, no flash. So I'm thinking it must be with some sort of closeup lens or a lens combo. What can you tell me?

--Rik
Thanks.

Idk if you read my description of the equipment in my first thread. But I'm using the same combination of lenses I mentioned in that post.
In front of the fz7's 72mm lens is a reversed "telephoto" lens (a "tokina 3x telephoto" as it's called on ebay) and attached in front of that is a high diopter macro focusing element. (part of one of those "digital concepts wide angle + macro" combination lenses on ebay) So basically I'm using a combination of reverse lens combo, and a high diopter adapter.

Ironically they work great together despite both lenses being poor individually. Because the "telephoto" has a lot of barrel distortion and is very soft, and the "macro" has a lot of pincushion distortion and is very soft. But together they form a relatively sharp, rectilinear image... Though I have to admit, I had to edit out a rather large amount of Chromatic Aberrations.

I'm planning on eventually getting that Raynox 250 Cactusdave suggested... Once I get the money. lol

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Interesting info. on the Raynox products here http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egdigital.html The Raynox DCR-250 should certainly fit your FZ7, see the camera compatibility link from the home page.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

homestar455 wrote:Idk if you read my description of the equipment in my first thread.
I did, but I've learned not to assume that what took one picture is what took another. And I remember when I read it, wondering how that menagerie of glass actually manages to work together. Thanks for the additional information.

--Rik

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Cactusdave wrote:Interesting info. on the Raynox products here http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egdigital.html The Raynox DCR-250 should certainly fit your FZ7, see the camera compatibility link from the home page.
Thanks for the info. I already know for certain the universal mount thingy will fit my FZ7's 52mm threads. It's just a matter of waiting till I have the money to get it now.
rjlittlefield wrote: I did, but I've learned not to assume that what took one picture is what took another. And I remember when I read it, wondering how that menagerie of glass actually manages to work together. Thanks for the additional information.

--Rik
That's probably a wise habit.
Though I'll tell you right now that's all my macro kit consists of is those lenses and a homemade flash diffuser made from a milk carton.

Yeah, one thing I like about this "menagerie of glass" is that on top of working decently, it's huge and makes me look cool lol.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic