My first insect macros

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

homestar455 wrote:Come to think of it, I did try a few of that grasshopper in portrait orientation... But he flew away before I could align the camera in a way I liked...
There are two lessons we rapidly learn about photographing any subject (not just close-ups) where the shot you have in mind can be lost due to changes in circumstances (change in weather or just the lighting; movement away/reorientation of the subject; movement of more subject matter to obscure that which you desire to frame):

1) Quickly, but carefully, get a shot which, at least approximates (angle of view, format, composition and lighting) to what you intended. The exception is that it may be wise, with live animals, to err on the side of keeping a little more distant (with the bonus of greater DOF) than you would prefer. Then try variations, including closer approach, if there is still opportunity.

2) Be prepared for unexpected different, possibly better, shots which you did not anticipate.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Harold Gough wrote:
homestar455 wrote:Come to think of it, I did try a few of that grasshopper in portrait orientation... But he flew away before I could align the camera in a way I liked...
There are two lessons we rapidly learn about photographing any subject (not just close-ups) where the shot you have in mind can be lost due to changes in circumstances (change in weather or just the lighting; movement away/reorientation of the subject; movement of more subject matter to obscure that which you desire to frame):

1) Quickly, but carefully, get a shot which, at least approximates (angle of view, format, composition and lighting) to what you intended. The exception is that it may be wise, with live animals, to err on the side of keeping a little more distant (with the bonus of greater DOF) than you would prefer. Then try variations, including closer approach, if there is still opportunity.

2) Be prepared for unexpected different, possibly better, shots which you did not anticipate.
That sounds like good advice to keep in mind, thank you.

I try to keep as much distance as possible, but with my current lens setup that's like 2.5" at the farthest...

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

homestar455 wrote:I try to keep as much distance as possible, but with my current lens setup that's like 2.5" at the farthest...
Certainly, once you get in closer than a foot or so, the actual distance is rather academic, so far as alarming your subject goes. More depends on how much you need to move your hands for changing various camera/lens settings. The DOF arguement still applies but falls off rapidly as magnification increases.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Harold Gough wrote: Certainly, once you get in closer than a foot or so, the actual distance is rather academic, so far as alarming your subject goes. More depends on how much you need to move your hands for changing various camera/lens settings. The DOF arguement still applies but falls off rapidly as magnification increases.

Harold
That's what I've noticed myself, once I'm within a foot, as long as I make my movements slow, they don't tend to go anywhere.
Luckily with my camera, all the controls are easy access on the back face panel (including a joystick that controls manual focus) so I don't have to make a lot of movements while shooting.

I'll have to keep in mind to keep as far out as I can, so I can maximize DOF... I truthfully didn't realize it would make a noticeable difference on this kinda setup.

Thanks again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic