Spindle Tree Fruits (Euonymus europaeus)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Spindle Tree Fruits (Euonymus europaeus)

Post by Cyclops »

Harold Gough kinldy mailed me some ripe fruits of this unusual and most special UK native tree. I have never come across one myself so these were a joy to receive!

All shots Canon 10D + 100mm macro lens, available light supplemented with small LED security light

Thank you most kindly Harold!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Great job! I can vouch for you having them only since yesterday, so you have not had much time to experiment.

The black works really well, as does the natural light.

It's a great shame that the fruits are rather grubby this year, normally being a lovely pink all over.

Your approach is different from mine. You show the botanical view: a twig with many fruit attached. I detach clusters of fruit and treat them almost as an abstract subject. Having shot some against the actual blue sky, I also used a sky blue background for most, some under natural light and some with ring flash. If I ever get around to installing my scanner... Anyway. I thought the forum should see this very striking subject, rather than wait for me to get organised. I'm so pleased that it was unquestionably the right decision.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Harold Gough wrote:Great job!
Your approach is different from mine. You show the botanical view: a twig with many fruit attached. I detach clusters of fruit and treat them almost as an abstract subject.

Harold
Unfortunately I dont have the space to arrange things like that, and I had to work quick as I had my 3 year old with me, getting into stuff! But I made the most of the opportunity and put some fullsize images on my deviant art page if you want to see.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the seeds out and gernminate them!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Cyclops wrote:Now I just need to figure out how to get the seeds out and gernminate them!
They should fall out soon. They may need stratification - a period of frost - for germination to be high.

The tree (shrub) prefers a chalky soil although I'm unsure about my garden, where they are doing well. There is alleged to be some old chalk workings further along the street but nothing definite down to spade depth here.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Harold Gough wrote:
Cyclops wrote:Now I just need to figure out how to get the seeds out and gernminate them!
They should fall out soon. They may need stratification - a period of frost - for germination to be high.

The tree (shrub) prefers a chalky soil although I'm unsure about my garden, where they are doing well. There is alleged to be some old chalk workings further along the street but nothing definite down to spade depth here.

Harold
Ah yes, I believe the fridge can work for the stratification period. Will have to try it. And i must get some compost-trouble is the only place to buy the stuff round here is Wilkinsons and the compost is seasonal there-they only sell it in summer! I do make my own, have two bins on the go, but nowhere near ready yet.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic