Fly Launching

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

morfa

Fly Launching

Post by morfa »

Fujifilm S5pro, Micro-nikkor 55mm f3.5, Nikon 4T diopter, SB-800, handheld 0.1s exposures

Female Neurigona quadrifasciata (most likely different specimens)

This is a series of shots taken with the flash in strobe-mode (which means the flash fires multiple times during a single exposure).

The exposure time is around 1/10s and the strobe frequency is set between 50-90Hz.

If you do the math you will realize how fast these flies are. What impresses me the most is their incredibly short reaction time. The first strobe usually sets them off and 0.10s later they have traveled roughly ten times their own body-length.

To put this in perspective: In track and field sprints, the sport's governing body has a rule that if the athlete so much as flinches within 0.10 seconds after the gun has fired it's a false start. This figure is based on tests that show the human brain cannot hear and process the information from the start sound in under 0.10 seconds.

The reason behind this little project of mine was this: Every time I tried to take a photo of these flies they managed to disappear from the frame during the short (in human terms) time between me pressing the shutter release and the exposure being made. I realized that they took off on the pre-flash that is sent out a fraction of a second before the exposure is made (to allow the camera to meter for the flash exposure correctly). I was fascinated by the fact that they were not even in the frame when the exposure was made. No species I've photographed before has reacted this fast!

/John

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

John,

This is great!

The metering pre-flash may have been a big step forward for better flash metering... but it can (as you have so beautifully shown) occasionally be a problem with live critters (as well as "slaving" additional non-dedicated flashed).

LordV

Post by LordV »

Wonderful sequences - might have to check if I can strobe my flashes :)

Dolichopid flies do all seem very prone to this behaviour. I've had to resort to manual mode on the flash quite a few times to get shots of them.
Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

Well done. I usually have the legs in the frame.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Nice work!

Does your standard sigma flash setup allow this or is it some special bespoke work you've had done?

I've experienced the same problem with the long legged flies Brian mentions...

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Superb! It's impressive enough to get this data at all, but to get the flies in focus as well is just magical!

--Rik

morfa

Post by morfa »

Thank you for your comments!

Laurie> I used a Nikon Speedlight SB-800 for these. At first I tried it with the older Nikon SB-24 but the maximum strobe frequency was only 10Hz so I borrowed a SB-800 from a friend of mine. (not sure what made you think I used a Sigma flash?)

Rik> It helped a lot that these flies are relatively predictable in their take-off pattern (as you can tell from these shots)!

/John

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Wow. These are amazing! :)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Great. Love to see things visible using accessible technology of today, out of reach a few years ago.

I see my D700 does strobing.

Where do you buy Neurigona quadrifasciata , and how do you herd them :lol: ?

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Spectacular series, John:

I love true stroboscopic photos. I've met the late Dr. Edgerton, who made this possible for us to do, on several occasions. Thanks again, Doc!

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic