First macro with extension Tubes

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

thartl

Post by thartl »

Ok - so I admit - sharpening helped. I don't like the artifacts when viewed at 100% but this does look better than before. This photo had 1.5 pixels at 60% using smart sharpen. Which is more than I would normally push a photo - but it really needed it for some reason. I also used a touch of the dodge tool, 50% on shadows over the face area, this photo is also cropped on the original, which rik I hadn't realised I had done before - which results for the weird sizes.

This is a crop (what i would call 100% view of the above)

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

thartl wrote: Image

This is a crop (what i would call 100% view of the above)
hmm, i prefer the fist one,puts the spider in context and the cropped version looks softer in the shadows
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

thartl

Post by thartl »

Thanks for the input - I should clarify - the cropped (2nd photo) is only to show the detail the sharpening gave the new version - I wouldn't intend to leave it that way.

Thanks again!

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

thartl wrote:Thanks for the input - I should clarify - the cropped (2nd photo) is only to show the detail the sharpening gave the new version - I wouldn't intend to leave it that way.

Thanks again!
Remember your final sharpening should be based on how you plan to view an image. You could start with a high resolution image and if it was destined for a full size inkjet print, laserprint or reduced size web posting you would sharpen differently

I confess I'm completely lazy on this - years ago I bought some software called PhotoKit Sharpener

http://www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener/index.html

It does everything for me :)

Andrew

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

AndrewC wrote:

Remember your final sharpening should be based on how you plan to view an image. You could start with a high resolution image and if it was destined for a full size inkjet print, laserprint or reduced size web posting you would sharpen differently

Andrew
Yea cos images posted for web are usually resized to 800x600 or so pixels. what I do is work on the full size image from the camera, adjust levels etc, then add USM. Then I save that image for uploading to deviant aert as full size. I then reopen the image and resize to 800X600 or so for here.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic