5 objectives and 4 mounts.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

specious_reasons

5 objectives and 4 mounts.

Post by specious_reasons »

Cruising the local Craig's List ads for microscope and microscope parts, I stumbled upon a great find - a Nikon Optiphot with 2 phase contrast objectives, and a 100X objective.

The microscope was sold as broken, but it looks like it's primary problems were that it was dirtier than sin and missing an illuminator.

I am unable to use the microscope as is, but I am able to use the objectives and condenser on my current microscope. even better, the Nikon Objectives are keyed the same as my current ones, and only require fine focus adjustments when switching.

My problem: I have 5 objectives I want to use, but only 4 mounts.
I want to use:
Plan 40X PH3 0.70 NA
Plan 10X PH1 0.30 NA
LP SemiPlan Achromatic 40X 0.65 NA
LP SemiPlan Achromatic 10X 0.25 NA
LP SemiPlan Achromatic 4X

I'm considering this lineup:
Plan 40X PH3
SemiPlan Achromatic 40X
Plan 10X PH1
SemiPlan Achromatic 4X

Has anyone has regretful experiences with using a phase contrast objective in brightfield applications?

Hokan

Re: 5 objectives and 4 mounts.

Post by Hokan »

specious_reasons wrote:Cruising the local Craig's List ads for microscope and microscope parts, I stumbled upon a great find - a Nikon Optiphot with 2 phase contrast objectives, and a 100X objective.

The microscope was sold as broken, but it looks like it's primary problems were that it was dirtier than sin and missing an illuminator.

I am unable to use the microscope as is, but I am able to use the objectives and condenser on my current microscope. even better, the Nikon Objectives are keyed the same as my current ones, and only require fine focus adjustments when switching.

My problem: I have 5 objectives I want to use, but only 4 mounts.
I want to use:
Plan 40X PH3 0.70 NA
Plan 10X PH1 0.30 NA
LP SemiPlan Achromatic 40X 0.65 NA
LP SemiPlan Achromatic 10X 0.25 NA
LP SemiPlan Achromatic 4X

I'm considering this lineup:
Plan 40X PH3
SemiPlan Achromatic 40X
Plan 10X PH1
SemiPlan Achromatic 4X

Has anyone has regretful experiences with using a phase contrast objective in brightfield applications?

Hello,
Aside from the phase ring being in the image no. I'm not noticed any difference between brightfield and phase contrast use.

regards,
Hokan
SOM, (Son Of Multiphot), a DIY macro/micro rig.w/120, 65, 35, 19mm Macro-Nikkors, Nikon AZ100 1X and 4X objectives. Nikon Plan Fluor W objectives, 10X, 20X, 40X.
With Zeiss infinity objectives, LD, Epi, APO, Plan types.

specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

Thanks. I'm going to try my suggested set and see if I'm happy enough, until better equipment comes along. Initial tests show that I seem to get better contrast and resolution from the phase contrast 10x.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic