Measuring Field of View (FOV)

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Measuring Field of View (FOV)

Post by NikonUser »

For low magnification it is relatively simple to use a mm ruler to estimate the FOV.
At higher mag. the 1mm spacings on such a ruler are not very accurate when measuring anything except integer numbers.
Edmund Optics catalog has illustrations of the scale patterns on its glass reticles.
Once calibrated, these scales are a convenient way to estimate the FOV for any lens/extesion.

I photographed one of these printed scales using a Nikon 4x objective on 33cm of extension.
As shown below in the full frame image the FOV covers 7.5 'units' on the printed scale.
Thus the FOV for this lens with this amount of extension is 2.7mm; on the 23.6mm sensor this represents a mag of 8.7x.
This printed scale is divided into units of 0.36mm, a lot better than the 1mm units on a ruler.
NU09228
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

LordV

Post by LordV »

Cor that takes me back - used to do a lot of photomicroscopy with either Olympus or zeiss photomicroscopes in my younger days. Often made use use of calibration slides. Used to use a wonderful high resolution black and white film called microneg pan B if I remember correctly resulting often in 5 minute exposures when doing fluorescent work :).
Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I have a micrometer slide that has divisions as fine as 0.01mm. Markings very pale but works fine on a microscope stage with a microscope setup.
Almost impossible to locate the scale when using high magnification with a camera/bellows/ lens setup.
This printed scale is easy to locate.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic