Hoverfly's head

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Iainp

Hoverfly's head

Post by Iainp »

200+ images stacked in ZS.

The fine detail on the edge of the head has come out well though something odd has happened with the hairs on the body at the top of the image:

By the way, the electric blue background isn't meant to provoke; I produced this some days ago :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This looks good, and I kind of like this blue. I think it's the green component in the earlier color that turns me off.
something odd has happened with the hairs on the body at the top of the image:
Can you be more specific about "odd"? I notice that the hairs appear kinky or wavy. Assuming that's not their actual state, then what must be happening is that the computational alignment process is getting confused by something and wiggling the offsets back and forth as it works through the stack. I can't recall seeing that happen before, but knowing the method I can easily imagine it. Are those hairs by any chance at the end of the stack, when everything else is OOF?

In any case, if your focus mechanism is smooth, stable, and moves straight along the optical axis so that frames are naturally aligned, then you may get better results by turning off Shift X and Shift Y. At this magnification, you should be turning off Scale too, since that's much more likely to mess up than to help you. And since your setup precludes physical rotation, you should turn off Rotation. The result is no computational alignment whatsoever. In addition to avoiding odd behavior with some images, this will also run faster.

--Rik

Iainp

Post by Iainp »

Yes the hairs are right at the end of the stack. Here's the top corner of the final image before cropping:

What looked odd to me was that some of the hairs seemed to be "floating" above the body, but examining the last image in the stack closely, I think I've answered my own question: it looks like I stopped stacking too early, so that only the tips of the hairs at the edge appear sharp:

I've only used ZS on the default settings, so now I'll revisit some of my "failed" stacks and see if I can improve them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic