Aperture series with Minolta 3x-1x macro zoom lens

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tpe

Aperture series with Minolta 3x-1x macro zoom lens

Post by tpe »

(This topic is split off from "Ants", over in the Nature gallery. --Rik)

Thanks very much for the encouragement, iding and help all.

Phew, you set me quite a task Rik, and I hope this is the place to post the OT reply.

Yes err, i think i mean the effective apperture. The lens is stated to be a f1.7-2.8 from 1-3x magnification. The lowest apperture it reports is f5.6.

Having tested it reasonably thouroughly with a test card printed at 1440dpi on an inkjet it looks like I may have been a little over optimistic with 2 stop advantage, at least when I shift the apperture numbers.

Below the minolta RS is a standard 1:1 macro at 1:1 magnification (odd how it is still not as magnified as the 3x-1x at 1:1) and is at the bottom of the picture. The 3x-1x at 1:1 magnification is above it, and the 3x-1x at 3x magnification at the top. It still looks to me as if the upper two are beter with respect to when diffusion starts to be a problem. The bottom one looks worst to me at the smallest apperture size where the dots of stray ink have more or less blurred into indistuinguishable smudges but the 3x magnification still seems to keep going and not degenerate so quickly. Should this actually be possible?

The inline image is about 200k and the linked image is not scaled down to make pixel peeping easier but is about 2mb.

http://www.scientificillustration.net/_ ... o_1to1.jpg

The skewing of the images with f8, 2.8 and 6.7 in the same column is the Exif data and skewed to compensate for the differences in reporting, it may also have been a help in thinking there was such a difference, but it would be really good to get any informed oppinions :). NB the last image on the right is not necessarily a stop above the previous one where there was not an entire stop available in the lens adjustment, but just the final adjustment available. The 3x-1x images are made up of 2 100% crops, one from the edge and one from the center. All the shots are only from one half of the original image.

Tim

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Tim It's prossibly only me, but I'm not at all sure what I'm looking at, in your last post :?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Chris, I was a little puzzled at first too, but I think I got it figured out. What we're looking at is three rows of not quite comparable test patterns. In the bottom row, labeled "Min RS @ 1X", the test pattern is a big T with some concentric circles above it. In the center row, labeled "3x-1x@1X", the test pattern is almost the same except the top of the T is clipped out. In the top row, labeled "3x-1x@1x" on the photo but actually being 3x as described in the text, the test pattern is only the top of the T or some similar arrangement of ink. The top row cannot be compared directly to the other two rows, but the images within each row can be compared.

Tim, I did not really intend to suggest such an in-depth investigation, but on the other hand I'm delighted to see it!

Let's see if we can make sense of these images.

First off, it's interesting that the lens is described as "f1.7-2.8".

We normally see ratings like that for zoom lenses, in which case the larger f-number applies at higher magnifications with larger focal lengths.

But in this case, I think it's the reverse. I believe the lens has a pupillary magnification factor such that at 1:1, the lens acts like f/2.8 corrected for extension, while at 3:1 it acts like f/1.7 corrected for extension. (Ah yes, see confirmation HERE.) The resulting effective f-numbers would then be 2.8*2=5.6 at 1:1 and 1.7*4=6.8 at 3:1. This matches the starting numbers shown in your chart, except for what's presumably a rounding difference between 6.7 and 6.8. (The labels, however, are reversed. It's the top row that should be "f1.7", with "f/2.8" in the middle.)

For the other lens, I think that what's being reported is not effective f-number, but rather the nominal f-number, which needs to be corrected for extension. So in the bottom row, the effective f-numbers would be f/5.6 to f/64.

Now, to evaluate and compare the blurs...

My standard test for blurring is to shrink, restore, and compare, using Photoshop layers. As a quick look, I adjusted the canvas size of your linked image to a multiple of 2 pixels on each axis, then made a comparison image by resizing to 50% followed by resizing 200%. The result of these two resizings is an image that is just the same size as the original, but contains only half as much potential detail because it's gone through a stage with only half as many pixels on each axis. Layer this second image on top of the first image and flash between them using the "eye" icon in the Photoshop layers palette. What I'm looking for is the point where there's little or no visible difference between the original version and the shrunk/restored copy. That's the place where blurring from whatever cause has made the image so fuzzy that you only have 3 megapixels of image data, not 12.

Applying this test to the current images, here's what I see. In the top row, the critical point is someplace between f/25 and f/36, probably closer to f/25. In other words, I can see just a little difference between the original and shrunk/restored images at f/25, and none at f/36. In the middle row, the critical point is between f/22 and f/32, and there's a little more effect on the middle row's f/22 than there is on the upper row's f/25. In the bottom row, the critical point is between what's called "f/11" and "f/16", but those are actually effective f/22 and f/32.

So, I'm not seeing any significant difference in the point where diffraction blur creeps in. In all three cases, the threshold found by the test lies someplace around effective f/25-30.

Now, an interesting question is how these observations match up against the predictions of the cambridgeincolour calculator, and what they mean for "usability".

Remember that what the shrink/restore test gives us is the point where the camera has effectively lost 3/4 of its pixels due to blurring. Observationally, that's between f/22 and f/32.

In the cambridgeincolour calculator, the Airy disks at f/22 and f/32 look to be around 3 and 5 pixels wide, respectively. Intuitively, I would have expected to see more visual blurring from 5 pixels of Airy disk than I actually do see in the f/32 images. I think that's partly a tribute to my lousy intuition, and partly because the test pattern doesn't really contain any small closely spaced features, only edges and isolated features that are rendered more sharply or less sharply, but always visible.

When I actually run the numbers for cutoff frequency and MTF-50 at f/32 (and assuming perfect optics), what I compute is that cutoff happens at a feature size (dark/light) that spans about 3 pixels, with MTF-50 at about 8 pixels. Considering that the smallest ink dots in the top row of the full-size image are about 5 pixels wide, it's reasonable that f/32 would do a fair job of capturing them. If we were looking at a moth wing, I suspect we'd perceive more difference between the f/22 and f/32 cases. (On the other hand, I've been wrong before. It would be an interesting test.)

As for usability, well, most cameras have more pixels than you really need. After all, the standard circle of confusion is about 1/1500 of a frame width, or about 1 pixel on a 1.5 megapixel camera. If stopping down to f/25 or f/32 effectively drops you from 12 megapixels down to "only" 3 megapixels, maybe that's not such a bad deal!

--Rik
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I see I overlooked one question earlier.
tpe wrote:The bottom one looks worst to me at the smallest apperture size where the dots of stray ink have more or less blurred into indistuinguishable smudges but the 3x magnification still seems to keep going and not degenerate so quickly. Should this actually be possible?
Sure. Both the top and the bottom rows are effective f/64 for the rightmost image. So both of them are equally blurred with respect to the image. But in the top row, the magnification is 3X higher so the subject looks 3X larger. Thus in the top row the blur is 3X smaller with respect to the subject. This difference is plenty to make the dots look better in the top row.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic