Euphorbia trigona 'Red'

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Euphorbia trigona 'Red'

Post by Cyclops »

This is a plant I picked up recently, a Euphorbia trigona 'Red' or E. trigona ssp red, not sure on the proper nomenclature on this one.

It contains a white sap that can be irritable, but also it looks really cool close up!
First shot,from above and at lifesize(so about 22mm across) showing the morphology of the plant that gives it the name trigona.

10D + 100mm macro lens
Tripod
Remote release with mirror lock up
8 and 10 seconds respectively at f22
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Interesting, I knew Euphorbia was a very large genus (from Wikipedia: "Euphorbia is one of the most diverse genera in the plant kingdom.") but this is completely different to the few euphorbia's we own, this looks like a cactus, I didn't realise they were _that_ diverse!

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

lauriek wrote:Interesting, I knew Euphorbia was a very large genus (from Wikipedia: "Euphorbia is one of the most diverse genera in the plant kingdom.") but this is completely different to the few euphorbia's we own, this looks like a cactus, I didn't realise they were _that_ diverse!
Oh yea, most of the ones sold do look like cacti.
This is what the whole thing looks like:

But dont forget the Poinsettia we see at christmas is a Euphorbia too-incredibly diverese group of plants!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic