Microscopists' weekend, Malham Tarn

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Microscopists' weekend, Malham Tarn

Post by gpmatthews »

Last weekend my family and I joined a group of microscopists at Malham Tarn Field Studies Centre in Yorkshire for a microscopists' weekend. The landscape was rugged and made for some excellent walking. There were also some fine freshwater samples to be had from the tarn and nearby wetlands.

Here is the lab with microscopes and a general view of Tarn House across the tarn

The wind was at times quite strong and blowing the waters of the tarn into white horses

We walked to Malham Cove, which was once a waterfall, but now the water rises at the base of the Cove. At the top is a spectacular limestone pavement divided into blocks or clints by erosion. In the gaps or grikes between the clints there are often interesting plants nestling in their own microclimate.

The pictures below taken clockwise from the top left show the landscape on the walk to Malham Cove, the edge of the limestone pavement overlooking the Cove, limestone pavement, and some plants nestling in a grike:
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

BJ

Post by BJ »

Graham, thanks for taking me back in time. I had a great, but very wet and cold week there almost 50 years ago - haven't been back since/(yet?)
Did you get any samples from the temporary rainfed pools on the clints... or some Nostoc maybe?

A trip down memory lane - thanks.

Brian

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Well, I've never been to this place, but these pictures sure make me want to go. Thanks for the tour!

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

This is one very interesting and special landscape, particularly the limestone cobbles.
The hole impression makes me think of some Bronte novels, like Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights.

--Betty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic