Before the hacksaw,

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Before the hacksaw,

Post by ChrisR »

I'm pretty good at collecting glass, not so good at finding time to use it.

In hope, I've bought most of an Olympus CHC microscope. It has no illumination, and someone's poked their finger through the condenser diaphragm and mangled that a bit. Still, for now transmitting light through subjects isn't my aim. It came with some standard lenses, a plain stage with no moving parts, and an 8x eyepiece, which is screwed onto a tube which is slightly bigger diameter than the eyepiece itself.
The top, angled part rotates, or comes off, being held by a dovetail section ring. It has a prism or mirror inside.
The focus rack appears to be fine, it's the long fine movement one with 1 micron increments.

SHould I use the "top part"? I have a T2 microscope adapter "Vario-flex, Japan" which has a 25mm diameter hole, with a reduced upper bore. The scope eyepiece is also 25mm, a sloppy fit in the above, but its upper end ring stops the two going together. The fixed tube into which the eyepiece screws, is 28mm outside diameter. I'd better sketch this:
half section

So the only way I could get the adapter to fit the scope would be to smash the lenses and stop out of the eyepiece... :shock:

Would I be better off contriving something to fit a camera ext tube directly to the dovetailed circular part, and ditch the piece I drew first?

The lenses it came with aren't particularly suitable, I have a couple :oops: of Nik Mplans which should be ok.
I'll just have to find out what magnification range of subjects it'll cope with.
Perhaps it'll get chopped up just for the focus rail?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Before the hacksaw,

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:Would I be better off contriving something to fit a camera ext tube directly to the dovetailed circular part, and ditch the piece I drew first?
Don't know, but that's what I've done with my stuff. It's vertical and there's no extra glass in the way.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic