www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Stonecrop among the rocks
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stonecrop among the rocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Stonecrop among the rocks Reply with quote

A couple of small Sedum plants (species unknown) growing in crushed rock on a glacial moraine.

For the story, see HERE.

--Rik
MarkB1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed the links. What a wonderful place. I have the same but different, very different. Smile
Cyclops

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Sedums will grow just about everywhere!
beetleman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful Rik. This is actually the first time I have seen them in the wild. I have a few in my rock garden.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Beetleman, sedums are very common at higher elevations in my area. The way they grow here, they fully deserve their name. Stone crops, that's where you'll find them. The one shown here is unusually succulent, with those bladder-like leaves.

I just looked up Sedum in Hitchcock & Cronquist, "Flora of the Pacific Northwest". It seems there are only two species in this area that have opposite leaves on the flower stems. Only one of those is listed in the University of Washington's online herbarium. So if I had to bet, I'd put my money on Sedum divergens. But I can't really distinguish it from Sedum debile, which is not shown in the online herbarium and which Hitchcock & Cronquist distinguish by technical characteristics that can't be seen clearly in this photo. So since I don't have to bet, I think I'll just leave it as "some kind of Sedum". Very Happy

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: