Hallo from Kent, England

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cactusdave

Hallo from Kent, England

Post by Cactusdave »

I am an ex-professional microscopist living near London in the UK. I have three microscopes; a black Leitz Ortholux 1 for which I have brightfield and also the Ultropak incident light accessory; a Zeiss Standard 12 with phase condenser and a set of phase neofluars. This microscope sadly is only a binocular and I could do with a trinocular head. I also have a big old beast of a Nikon Diaphot 200 inverted which has the LWD condenser with X10 and X40 DIC and X20 phase plus the appropriate Nikon objectives. I also have a couple of stereos; a Nikon SMZ 1 that needs a stand and a Leica stereozoom 2000 that unfortunately is the version with fixed 'student-proof' eyepieces. A bad Ebay purchase through not having done my homework :oops: . I have a couple of Canon DSLRs, a 40D and 400D which I use for bird and wild life photography as well as photomicrography, and also a Canon G9 which is used mostly on the microscopes. I am a member of the Quekett microscopical society in the UK and am interested in macrophotography as well as photomicrography. I am interested in freshwater microscopy and diatoms as well as classic Victorian mounts. David
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hello, David!

I see that I managed to overlook greeting you on your first posts, over in Equipment. :oops:

Sorry about that -- we usually try to be friendly even when we're standing around not knowing what else to say!

Of course we're happy to have you aboard, and looking forward to seeing some images from that interesting collection of gear you have. :D

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

A belated welcome Dave,so how many cacti do you have?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Really rather a lot I'm afraid. A 10X8 greenhouse packed to the eaves!
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Welcome David!

I see you use a Leitz Ortholux 1 and have experience with microscopes. As it happens an Ortholux 1 stand with fine and coarse focus fell into my hands some time ago and unlike with my heirloom Dialux 1 where fine and coarse focus are built into the stand, it seems to me that on the Ortholux 1 the fine and coarse focus are in a seperate block that is mounted onto the stand itself. Now, do you happen to know if this focus block of the Ortholux 1 can be dismounted and will then still be working as a stand-alone device and thus could be used for another set-up? If so, do you know which bolts have to be loosened to take off the focus block ?

Thanks in advance.

--Betty

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Yes I have an Ortholux 1 microscope. A fine old 'scope. I believe that the focus block can be removed and it looks as though that would be possible on my stand. I have no experience of trying to remove it myself. Manuals for the Ortholux 1 are available on the web and might be helpful in working out how easy this is. Sorry not to be more specific; though I love microscopes I would the first to admit my lack of technical skill.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Cactusdave wrote:Really rather a lot I'm afraid. A 10X8 greenhouse packed to the eaves!
envious!
I've had two greenhouses, filled with C&S. Unfortunately both were destroyed by the strong winds so I gave up!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic