Aphid?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Aphid?

Post by lauriek »

At a first glance this looked like a fly with oddly shaped wings but closer examination suggests a hemipteran of some kind (due to a long stiff pointy proboscis).

I don't know what this is tbh but I know there are a variety of aphids out there so that's my current guess, but this seems big for an aphid (body around 5mm). Any thoughts on ID appreciated!

Stack of 71 images with OM38/2.8, stacked in Zerene.

I guess a fuller body shot may aid ID so here's the best one I have;

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Laurie, Nicely photographed, I find black "critters" always tricky to light. It's interesting to see how the different black surfaces vary from most shiny to matte black.

Yes, you're right that this is an aphid. And if I'm not mistaken, it should belong to the Lachnidae.

--Betty

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks Betty, yep this was awkward to illuminate nicely, that bright bit on the sort of 'neck' area just seemed to catch the light, almost regardless of where it came from or how diffuse...

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Laurie,

In the second image, that little dorsal bump (which reminds me of a plugged air inlet hole in an airbed) looks like a shrivelled cornicle. If so, it is an aphid. The antennae look right for an aphid.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic