Naval Aviation Anyone?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Naval Aviation Anyone?

Post by Ken Ramos »

After having been in naval aviation for over twenty years, I sort of got a kick out of this vidio on YouTube. This is an awesome RC model of an F-14 Tomcat. I thought that maybe some of you might enjoy seeing this individuals skill as a fighter pilot. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A2CQQVKVfk

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi Ken,

He seems to be an excellent pilot.

I too was in Naval Aviation from 1967 to 1974 when I served in the Royal Navy. Not all of our pilots were as skilled as the kid in the video.

The pilot of this aircraft thought he had missed the wire on landing and tried to take off again. However, he had picked up the last wire and came to a rather abrupt stop. Lucky he did not go over the edge.

I took this picture in 1969 when I was serving on board the British aircraft carrier HMS Eagle. The aircraft is a Buccaneer. If you look under the right engine you can still see the wire hanging from the hook.
Last edited by georgedingwall on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

That was a pretty neat vid. That model is huge as models go. One thing I hated about the video is the broken Top Gun soundtrack. just should have stayed with one song and looped it instead of breaking it appart like that.

As for George's pic, one word comes to mind OOPS! :smt082
Carl B. Constantine

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I remember seeing one of these aircraft before, they sort of remind me of a the A-6 Intruder with that inflight refueling probe. Some thing similar happened onboard the USS Coral Sea in 1972 Gulf of Tonkin, SVN; we had an F-8 catch the wire but had lost hydraulics. It ended up dangling by the wire off the angle deck. :shock:

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

Check out the b52 crash. I'llbet that guy was weeping for days. :cry:
Revelation III Compound
Nikon D50
Canon A10
Canon A1
Mamiya RB67 Pro

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I saw that B-52, that was awesome too. Looked like a B-52, took off like a B-52, flew like a B-52, crashed like a B-52. Hmmm.... :-k ...must have been a B-52 :lol:

Poor guy :(

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

That was pretty neat! Ive seen lots of RC plans befoe but never a jet fighter, must take some skill!

I used to live not far from a field where people would meet up with their RC planes and I'd watch them for ages.
Ive always fancied a go myself and maybe putting a camera on it to get some aerial shots!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic