WHere DO you get your critters?

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

You wrote "As you like identifying things"
Not quite true. I like to know what things are (in the natural world) and this necessitates identifying things. I guess there is no need to broadcast identifications but sometimes others like to know the name.

I take a lot of photos, but I wouldn't say I like taking photos. Just a means to an end.

But I do like collecting bugs under a bright sun, blue sky, cooling breezes, in the wilds of NB.

Turkish fauna is way beyond my knowledge.
The dragonfly is obviously a Gomphid (possibly a Gomphus sp.).
The Horse Fly is a Tabanus sp.
The other Odonate (lower right) is what us Brits call a Demoiselle, a Calopteryx sp.
Will not even attempt a genus for Batty; as I'm getting a bit fat zero for the other 3, double zero is no incentive to seek an ID.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Top left is probably the Club-tailed Dragonfly Gomphus vulgatissimus.

Bottom right is a male of the Beautiful Demoiselle Calopterix virgo or a very similar species. We get lots of C. splendens around emergent vegetation in sunny spots on the Thames.

If "fast, erratic" describes the flight of the bats then the Pipistrelle is a strong possibility. Who knows what other species might live in Turkey!

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Roadwart

Post by Roadwart »

I discovered today that there is an area behind our yard office thats been left totally untouched for about 12-18 months. Its about 3m wide by about 7m long & seems to have all manner of flying insects. Going to have to take some collecting pots in with me. Managed to catch a horse fly in a plastic cup while it was sunning itself on the back of the racking. Also saw a black ichneuman wasp, various hover flies, bees, a green shield bug & a quite large brown shield bug so it could be a little goldmine for the next few months.

Only just got back from a holiday so there`s been a few things that needed to be sorted before the Mrs will allow me uninterrupted time with the camera but I`m looking forwards to having a bash at the horsefly.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Looking forward to seeing the Horse Fly pics. Be gentle, don't bash it too hard.
A dorsal shot, side shot of head and full face shot should allow for ID (may need a full lateral to show legs as well)
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic