www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Macro setup
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Macro setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewC

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Macro setup Reply with quote

One of the macro benches I've been building for the last few months, shown here without the camera:

Camera end is a Nikon PB-6 on a linear bearing driven by a stepper motor which I can move in 3.2um increments. Lighting is pretty flexible - in this configuration it is two Nikon SB-R200 flashes with a Cree MC-E modelling light. The lights are held on Loc-line modular pipe.

The subject end is another linear bearing I reworked into a stage. It can step in 0.4um increments and is also adjustable left/right up/down with micrometers:

The whole thing is built on a CNC T-grooved bed plate embedded in a "butcher block" of oak and resting on Sorbothane buffers:

Edit: More info is on a page on my website:

http://www.tirpor.com/macro/macro_benches.htm

Last edited by AndrewC on Sat May 23, 2009 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
lothman

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Macro setup Reply with quote

AndrewC wrote:
One of the macro benches I've been building for the last few months, shown here without the camera:

Well done - hat down. Do you use a software solution for automatic camera movement and frame aquisition, so fully automatic?

Regards
Lothman
AndrewC

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All controlled out of a PIC 18F microcontroller. I manage the stepper motor rotation, actual position through a shaft encoder, camera mirror and shutter commands and, depending on the lights, the timing, intensity and duration of the lighting systems:

Eric F

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Macro setup Reply with quote

Wow -- looks to be a fantastic system; excellent craftsmanship too! Looks like your subject is the robber fly (with background behind). The z-step part is a cylindrical piston - type apparatus, with incredibly fine movement? I'm afraid the stepper motor and electronic controls would be way, way beyond my abilities to configure.

Eric
AndrewC

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eric and Lothman - I'm rather pleased with it Embarassed

Yes - my friendly tail-less robber is on the stage.

The z movement is a Melles-Griot TEZ stage http://www.cvilaser.com/Catalog/Pages/Template1.aspx?pcid=1734&filter=0. They are basically a micrometer pushing a lifting cam driving the cylinder up a precision slide.

I've been collecting the eBay for several months Smile

Andrew
elf

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size/brand stepper motors did you use? I was experimenting with some larger unipolar motors and they had quite a bit of vibration when they were in the hold mode. How do you get the .4um increments, is it a single step of the motor?
AndrewC

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen any vibration problems, but then I haven't tried anything greater then 5x mag yet. I'll run a stack at 10x later this week. I use unipolar & bipolar motors run at 8x microstepping, they seem to hold at those size microsteps with no problems but when I don't need the less than unity step size I move in multiples of whole steps.

When you say "vibration" can you physically see it or just hear the stepper whining when stationary ? What kind of driver are using ? If a chopper are you giving it enough volts - you can safely run over 4x the rated motor voltage with a chopper driver. I run my 5V coils at 24V.

The 0.4um microstep comes from the miniature slide which has a 0.025" pitch, so it can move whole steps of only 3.2um or ustep at 8x for 0.4um , but so far I haven't had to use it. The big slide is a 0.2" pitch

The vertical stage I'm building right now may well be incarnated with a 30x reduction gear which will deliver 0.33um/step even before I start microstepping.

Andrew
lothman

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewC wrote:

I've been collecting the eBay for several months Smile

Have you seen this (Ebay Item 270317900034), I'm not shure wheter I ever would manage to control that drive, but mechanically it looks excellent.
AndrewC

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks impressive but might be hard to work out how to control, there are a lot of outputs on a single connector - and you can get cheaper if you are patient. Just watch out for slides that are sold with 5 phase stepper motors - they are a pain to get drivers for.

Andrew
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Andrew's suggestion, I moved this topic over here into Equipment Discussions, from Macro and Micro Technique.

This reply is to bump the topic, so that people notice it's been moved.

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: